Some interesting stats

Eleven Plus (11+) in Trafford

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
CarpeDiem

Some interesting stats

Post by CarpeDiem »

http://www.knutsfordacademy.org.uk/user/74/182352.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Knutsford Academy has posted some very interesting stats on their website relating to their 2012 cohort.
agsbmad

Re: Some interesting stats

Post by agsbmad »

I can't open the link :(
CarpeDiem

Post by CarpeDiem »

I can open it from the link but maybe thats because I posted it.
It is taken from the Knutsford Academy homepage http://www.knutsfordacademy.org.uk/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; called KA data dashboard so you could access it that way instead. It is all about value added scores and the progress children make from KS2 to GCSE. AGGS and AGSB dont feature on it but a lot of other schools in Trafford/Cheshire East do.
determineddaddy

Post by determineddaddy »

I can open the link and it is fascinating.

I think the first thing to notice is that the table measures value added. The Trafford Grammars seem to fare slightly less well on this score. I wonder what the explanation might be. Grammar school children being further on at yr 7 with less scope for relative improvement by yr11?

Whatever, well done to Knutsford.
CarpeDiem

Post by CarpeDiem »

Yes DD I thought that too about the GS mentioned as if most children at a school start from level 5/6 and they only measure to level 8 then the VA score would be restricted to three levels max. Maybe some statistician on the forum could enlighten us.

However well done to KA for sharing their data and being so transparent regarding what they do acheive.

PS
DD Still remember your post when you won your appeal it brought a tear to my eye. I hope your DD is enjoying her new school? Can't quite believe that they are getting towards the end of their first year.
determineddaddy

Post by determineddaddy »

Thanks for remembering us. Yes DD is thriving at AGGS. I don't think it is for every girl but it suits my daughter well.

Good luck to you and yours.

I read your posts with interest.
bns

Post by bns »

very interesting, but does not surprise me ,KH has always been well regarded with respect to CVA, what does surprise me is why it does not have more high achievers/prior attainers to start with, given it's demographics are very similar to areas like Wilmslow, Appleton,Lymm generally very affluent areas with it's fair share of profesionals/business families yet consistanty is much lower in the league tables as compared to Bridgewater high, wilmslow high or Lymm High.(Trafford comps are differant almost 40% in Trafford go either to grammars or Indies given this , I think even the Trafford Comps do very well relatively speaking)
is it:
1) problem with the primaries ( I doubt that ,they generally have a very good reputation)
2) high achievers are been disaproportionately been "saphoned off "by the Indies ( King's, Grange,Stockport, Cheadle Hulme and the three manchester schools)? resulting in more then expected number of out of area children from disadvantaged areas , if so ,good on KH.(however I not aware of many disadvantage areas around Knutsford( but as I have eluded to before my goegraphy is crap :lol: )-judging from the house prices-but I do know that lymm High have a very positive attitude from parents from areas like Partington in Trafford applying(-no disrespect to Broadoak's) but I think it's not all altruistic , any parent thats prepared to send their child 5 miles without a direct bus route must be quite aspirational!-but a counter agrument would be that Lymm also has a good number of it's high achiever "saphoned "to Indies and the Alty grammars.especially ABGS who are "super-selected" so they take our best and brightest boys!and AGGS who take some of our brightest girl's due to the close approximity to the school
anyway well done to KH
CVA is the most important measure about any school (difficult to know about the indies as they have no compulsion to declare them in the public domain)"it's all about what you bring to the party" but to fair ,to the selective schools there is "the rule of diminishing returns "at play as determineddaddy has implicitly implied in his earlier post so it's no real suprise most Grammars do badly compared to good comps like KH with respect to CVA.
CarpeDiem

Post by CarpeDiem »

why it does not have more high achievers/prior attainers to start with, given it's demographics
I think I can give an insight into this. Its demographics are very different to Wilmslow, Holmes Chapel and Lymm as almost 40-50% of its year group travel in from Trafford (mostly Urmston, Stretford, Chorlton, Sale and Altrincham) where most of the high acheivers have gone to the GS. Also a high proportion go on to the indepedent sector after the excellent local state primaries.
bns

Post by bns »

Well that would explain it then, KH as always been an enigma to me!
heres some VA figures for other schools AGGS =1037, ABSG=1028(although I think its the first time it ever got over 1000-national AVE-WELLDONE) Wilmslow high =992 , Ambrose College =999( quite poor considering the number of medium acheivers- 0% low attainers, 16% middle attainers, 84% high attainers so there is room to add value . Comments removed by Moderator. Loreto's does well -but girls shcools almost always out-preform Boys' Schools!- but just wait until linear exams come in "the tables may well be turned"
CarpeDiem

Post by CarpeDiem »

to the selective schools there is "the rule of diminishing returns "at play
Well those scores blow that theory as I would have expected AGGS and AGBS to have a very low VA score if that were true as their cohort is almost superselective because of them scoring against cohort taking exam not national stats.