Using Green Bus on Induction Day

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
orianagirl

Using Green Bus on Induction Day

Post by orianagirl »

Has anyone got experience of their DC using the Green Bus on induction day.

Do many of the new Year 7's get it on this day or do parents tend to drop off/pick up?

If you DC did get Green Bus on induction day did they feel comfortable doing so?

Thanks to anyone who can give me some feedback :D
koala

Re: Using Green Bus on Induction Day

Post by koala »

Mine DC used the green bus on induction day. They waited for it in their primary school uniform with the other KEFW children. Happy to catch it.

I picked them up after the induction day as they had finished early so we had an option for them to wait for the Green Bus or pick them up ourselves. (I picked them up as I couldn't wait to hear how they had got on). If I was doing it again, I would let them get the green bus home as well!

Other Year 6s will be on the buses that day and the drivers are briefed about picking them up. I gave my DC the letter just in case, but dont think it was necessary.

It is a great way for them to know what to expect come September (or August in KEFW's case), where the buses drop them and there are loads of pupils getting off buses and getting into the school. Make sure they know what number bus they should be catching to get home and where they should get off!

Best wishes for induction day to all the Year 6s - it is an exciting time for both DC and parents - that was my DC two years ago and now it feels as if they have been there forever!
orianagirl

Post by orianagirl »

Thanks koala :D
muminbrum

Post by muminbrum »

Good question Orianagirl!

I still haven't made a decision between Greenbus and catching #22 public bus. We are quite close to KEFW and so the Greenbus works out as a very expensive option but I'm tempted as it feels safer. Both buses go from the same place about 15min walk at DS-pace from home. If he catches the #22 bus then he'll have a bus pass to use at weekends/hols plus he can stay after school for clubs however I have heard that the #22 gets very full (too full to pick up more passengers sometimes) and is a bit unreliable in the mornings. Anyone else having the same dilemma?

Anyway I digress! Is anyone sending their child on a normal service bus to/from induction day? DS has a friend who is also going to KEFW so they could go together. I'm hoping that the school will encourage it and maybe have people pointing them in the right direction on the day.
orianagirl

Post by orianagirl »

I have spoken to Green Bus and they say so far they have only had one other enquiry for a DC to travel with them to KE Aston on induction day and if we wish our son to go on the bus we need to contact the school who will then liaise with them to sort out a pass for the day.

Not sure what to do as if very few other new boys are getting the Green Bus on that day don't think my DS would feel comfortable. Unfortunately, there is no direct public service from where we are to get to Aston so thinking of taking him/picking him up on this day and then he can start getting the Green Bus on first day of school in September.

muminbrum I understand your dilemma our DD goes to Camp Hill and has the option of either Green Bus or public service. She chooses the Green Bus (although more expensive) because a lot of her friends get it and its more reliable than the public service. Maybe if you hold off buying a pass your DS could trial both ways of getting to school for a few weeks and see which he prefers (I think you can pay for Green Bus daily - you need to check with them).

Although the Green Bus is more expensive it is an excellent service we have only had one day in 3 years (so far) when it did not get to us (due to heavy snow - they couldn't get the buses out of the depot - think they have moved depots now and it has not happened again). It has the added benefit that it has a tracker and free wifi on it which the kids enjoy using :D

Whatever you decide good luck to you and your DS at Fiveways :D
koala

Post by koala »

Orianagirl, I am surprised at The Green Bus response to you. My children didn't need a pass, they just had a copy of the induction letter with them to show the driver, but I dont think it was needed. That should be easy to sort out. I generally find The Green Bus people easy to deal with and generally quite accommodating.

Surely all the children on the bus must have been Year 7s themselves in days gone by and will know he is a Year 6 child. I was under the impression that the rest of the school know it is induction day and they won't let any harm come to him. The rest of the school move up to their next year form groups for that day too at KEFW, so it is a different day for everyone at the school.

Boys being boys might not communicate with him but I find the young people at my DC's school nice kids. If he is wearing his school uniform, another former pupil from the school might be on the bus and start up a conversation. It might be better to let him go on the bus for induction day and then on his first day at school, he will know what to do. He may also meet one or two other boys who are new and they are identifiable by their primary school uniform. You can always pick him up in the afternoon of induction day. Alternatively his first 'uncomfortable' day on the bus will be his first day at school.

Just another perspective from a Year 8 parent.
orianagirl

Post by orianagirl »

Thanks for the info. Koala.

At Aston they ask the boys to wear smart casual clothes not their primary school uniform on Induction day. I will maybe speak to the Head of Year 7 at Aston to get more of an insight into how many boys normally come on the bus and go from there.
Happy dad

Post by Happy dad »

Induction day material received this morning with Green Bus ticket included. My DS will be using the Green Bus from the Wolverhampton area on the day.
orianagirl

Post by orianagirl »

Hi Happydad

That's good news. Is your DS going to KEFW? Think they really encourage the new pupils to use the Green Bus on Induction Day.

This does not appear to be the case at KE Aston. In fact they seem to almost want to discourage it! Have had some trouble trying to sort out supervision for my DS at the school after the 'official' finish of induction day (3 pm) and the arrival of the bus (which I think is around 4pm). The school have told me it is not usual for boys to get the bus on Induction Day! And they have also told me that the bus he will be travelling on can be standing room only at times (but I imagine that this will be the same come September so he will need to get used to it). I have also had trouble getting a pass for the day as the school were required to approach Green Bus for these and again this has not been done; I have had to speak to Green Bus this week and they finally after my frustrated pleas sent me one in the post.

I just hope everything goes smoothly on the day as I do not want a bad experience to taint my DS's first real experience of the school :(
Happy dad

Post by Happy dad »

Sorry, yes he is attending Five Ways. They really push the Green Bus, seem to remember one being on site for the open days. I guess given Aston train station is close KEA have less pupils using the Green Bus. Their attitude seems less than helpful. Hope you can get it sorted to your satisfaction.