Sutton Mocks - Results

Eleven Plus (11+) in Surrey (Sutton, Kingston and Wandsworth)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
harrow_101

Sutton Mocks - Results

Post by harrow_101 »

Hello - Does anyone know when the Sutton mock results are released and what information they provide?
Daogroupie

Re: Sutton Mocks - Results

Post by Daogroupie »

They will release all the results together in a big spreadsheet with the total mock and individual marks for each candidate and a mark which gets you in the top ten percent. Data experts on here then jump on the list and make lots of intelligent comments about it. What is the last date offered? It wont be until a few weeks after that. Did you just do the mocks? How did you find them? DG
Scoopy19

Post by Scoopy19 »

For those who sit Test A, the results will be available mid-June.

For those who sit test B, the results will be available @ the end of July.

DD2 sat Test A on Saturday and she said it was okay - not easy but not difficult.
SunlampVexesEel

Post by SunlampVexesEel »

Scoopy19 wrote:DD2 sat Test A on Saturday and she said it was okay - not easy but not difficult.
Our DD2 was also there (for the morning session). We were really just doing them for the exam experience; I'm not sure the actual questions are representative of the tests she will be ultimately be sitting.
Animis opibusque parati
BusyQueenBee

Post by BusyQueenBee »

I would like to share our experience from last year here. Don't rush into any radical decisions based in your child's mock results. DS actually FAILED the Sutton PTA mocks before the summer. We were very surprised, he is top in class etc etc and he had been prepared - albeit by us. We decided to stick to the plan, which was to try for both a place at a grammar and a scholarship to an indy. The result was that he got a place at Wilsons and several scholarships at a bunch of very selective indies.

Do it as a good warm up, but don't decide your child is not grammar material just because they don't score high on these mocks.
Scoopy19

Post by Scoopy19 »

Agree with BusyQueenBee wholeheartedly.

DD1 passed it but only just with very average scores and got into TGS (our first choice) plus 2 scholarships. Likewise, a friend's son failed and got into St Olave's and various other top private schools.

It is definitely a worthwhile experience regardless of what you think the standard of the test is and the score your child gets.
999 mum

Post by 999 mum »

Hi,

I would agree with the above comments - don't make decisions based on the results, but I think it is a great way for the DCs to experience what it will be like to walk into a strange environment with lots of other children who will all be sitting the exams.

It is better that they get the nervousness of the experience out of the way on a mock like this than experiencing the situation for the first time in a real exam.

Good luck to everyone going through this at the moment.
SunlampVexesEel

Scoopy19 wrote: DD1 passed it but only just with very average scores and got into TGS (our first choice) plus 2 scholarships.
Hence my comment about not being representative.

I think the SGS Mock is made up by the PTA (presumably with academic assistance); it is not a NFER test as far as I know.
Animis opibusque parati
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

What on earth makes you think the exam questions are made up by the PTA? Just because it is not NFER, there are plenty of other exam formats. Why would thousands of students travel from miles away and all the slots be sold out weeks ago if it was just some questions made up by the PTA? Of course there will be some who will do much better in their real exams than they did in the Sutton mocks but there are also lots of students sitting super selectives who are going to up the pass mark as their schools are so much harder to get into. The real value of the Sutton mocks is real competition for those who have been top of their class for years and have developed a misplaced opinion of their own ability. I encounter students who think they are going to walk entrance exams with no prep because they don't have a proper academic peer group at school. Sutton is an introduction to the real world for those students. Why would you think it is not representative just because a handful of students on this forum did better in private school exams? If you look at last years result I would think it unlikely that those students who got in the 90's did not go on to get offers from all the schools they sat and probably scholarships as well if they actually sat any private schools. DG
SunlampVexesEel

Daogroupie wrote:What on earth makes you think the exam questions are made up by the PTA?
OK; that might have been an extrapolation but it was based on feedback from DD. I would be interested in clarification of where they originate however I do not think this in any way detracts from the value of the test in providing an introduction to exam conditions etc. I'm a complete fan of the Sutton PTA tests.
Animis opibusque parati
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now