without music???

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

SummersLazy

without music???

Post by SummersLazy »

Have you come across someone who knows nothing about music. I am one of them. Hello. :mrgreen:
I enjoy listening though.
Now, my DD appreciates music but I am struggling to afford lessons. (1)How many percentage succeed at school years without expensive external music tuition?

She does other clubs, sports and activities. I know as a fact that music helps kids develop as an all-rounder, spacial awareness etc., etc., (2) I am just asking if I can save that 250£ a term or will it come back to bite me later during school admissions at yr 7, GCSE and good uni entrances???

please be kind.
Sue123

Re: without music???

Post by Sue123 »

Hi there, I really wouldn't worry. My DD has had piano lessons throughout her school years but in a very, very low-key way and, as she doesn't like performing, we never made anything of it in school applications etc. She is now at a very good North London indie.
I don't know what your plans are for her education but I think that academic achievement and potential and an interest in something (could just be reading) are important.
It sounds to me as if your daughter has enough other interests. If your daughter is really interested in music, however, and would actually really like to take lessons (and not just to get into a good secondary school) it might be worth investigating whether there is a possibilty of getting free lessons somewhere. I wouldn't know about that, it was never an option for us.
By the way, I know people who have recently got into Oxbridge without any music tuition at all. I think that at university level, music tuition only makes a difference if the person reaches an exceptionally high standard.

Hope this helps a little.
DC17C

Post by DC17C »

You might find there are other cheaper options about - my DD joined the local brass band which had funding to teach children. She learned to play cornet for £3 a week for a group lesson with 8 other children. DD loved it and got a lot out of it she has stopped going now but can read music and is coping well with school music and is currently learning keyboard. DD has decided she would rather do Drama as an extra in senior school rather than music and is working through the LAMDA grades
Belinda

Post by Belinda »

Whether DD does or doesn't is up to you, and her, of course; it won't stop DD 'getting on' academically. However, if you do head down the music road and finances are tight then maybe consider one of the instruments where there is a shortage of players. There are often discounts to be had and free instrument hire etc. Maybe speak to your county music group and see what deals they have. Sometimes, joining the county group but opting for lessons in school (pro music schools) also gets a discount as the school funds some of the cost.
Best wishes.
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

At our local schools the whole class learns an instrument together free of charge for the whole of year four. It is known as wider opportunities. So you can to try it out and then if they like it then it will be worth continuing. My dd's do tons of music and recently got to play in an orchestra and band and sing at the Royal Albert Hall and sing at St Pauls Cathedral. That unexpected opportunity alone was worth all the years of slog and money drain! DG
Kingfisher

Post by Kingfisher »

It doesn't matter at all. My DD played piano for a few terms when she was little then gave to up. She is in Year 7 at a super selective. She did not apply for the music scholarship so no one asked her anything about her lack of musical ability. Like you, the cost was prohibitive for me.
modernista

Post by modernista »

I agree that music helps develop all round ability and helps academically but so do so many other things. Ideally, if you can give your child a brief (and inexpensive) exposure to everything, you will automatically know what works for her. I pushed DD into everything when she was young, now she enjoys some extracurriculars and has just dropped other things. When I saw her at the first gym display, I knew I was wasting money.
RedVelvet

Post by RedVelvet »

There is a way for your child to learn without any cost, you could learn alongside them. There are plenty of good music books around. You may also be able to rent an instrument without lessons too. Recorder is always a good place to start. The problem with that is they learn so much faster!
Pushy Dad

Post by Pushy Dad »

SummersLazy wrote:... I am just asking if I can save that 250£ a term or will it come back to bite me later during school admissions at yr 7, GCSE and good uni entrances???
Firstly, £250 a term is reasonable if you are getting 1 hour lesson but a rip off if you are getting 30min lessons. The recommended rate for music teachers is £15-£18 per 30 min.

If your child is Grade 5 come application time then it would be of definite benefit (schools are always on the look out for good musicians). If not then its just something for DC to talk about at the interview. As for uni entrances, they look for a well rounded individuals with various interests of which music is only one. Being active in tennis or hockey is just as impressive as being good at music.
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

Indeed. We have our own private arrangement now and pay £12 for 30mins and only pay for the lessons we have. Previously we were paying for a whole term and then paying for lessons dd's could not have because the school scheduled something on the exact time of the lesson and refused to refund. DG
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now