2015 Entry anyone?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Essex

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
pg19

2015 Entry anyone?

Post by pg19 »

Hi mums of kids presently in year 4.
How are you all taking this whole journey of 11 plus?any ideas?
is any one panicking?how much have you covered in maths,english and VR?
Pg
mumg76

Re: 2015 Entry anyone?

Post by mumg76 »

hi,thanks for starting this thread for 2015 entry, hopefully we will see more mums and dads joining us here.

To be honest,we have only just started with our prepsarations and not at the panick stage yet!!! Perhaps that will kick in soon !!!

What makes it even difficult for us is we are currently based in Aberdeen in Scotland but will moving into Kent very soon.As of now my only course of inofmration is this forum and will be relying mostly on all mums and dads suggestions and reccommendations.

We are currently working on bond series 9-10 book 1 (maths,english,NVR and VR) and also doing Schofield and Sims - Mental maths.

Please reccomend other books,test papers,websites, and any other tips you can will be truly appreciated.
pushymother

Post by pushymother »

pg19 wrote:Hi mums of kids presently in year 4.
How are you all taking this whole journey of 11 plus?any ideas?
is any one panicking?how much have you covered in maths,english and VR?
Pg
Just had a panic today...can't decide whether to move so we have a better chance with the lower in catchment score. There is a younger sibling to consider; is it fair on him to break up his primary education for the older one? Also is it fair on us parents to add 20 minutes to our London commutes??

We can't decide whether to do the CCHS test the week before CSSE test. What if she burns out on the CEM and bombs the other one? Then again with an end of July birthday the age weighting is too tempting....

Roll on 2015 as I have been obsessing since year two and think I may be in the loony bin soon!
Abu1

Post by Abu1 »

Might be safer to move into catchment if you can afford it.
Slogger

Post by Slogger »

If you're careful you could move to somewhere like Rayleigh, which is in the catchment area for the Southend and Westcliff schools and in the Chelmsford catchment area providing you're within 12.5 miles of the school
pg19

Post by pg19 »

Hi,
Is there a specific VR practice book specific to 21types of questions in Essex.
I am more worried about speed and revision.My son is not very keen on revising and does silly mistakes.
Bless the kids...
pg
Minesatea

Post by Minesatea »

Try this thread:

http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... =3&t=30178" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Zoe22

Post by Zoe22 »

Thanks for starting this thread.

I've been following this forum for the past year and shift between periods of panic and calm!

We're currently on VR 10-11+, maths 9-10, NVR 10-11+( I know essex doesn't do NVR, but he enjoys it!). As for English, we don't do much of it, simply because its a drag trying to get him to sit through it! We're doing the bond online English though and doing some comprehension and few bits and pieces.
We also do schofield and sims mental maths.

I'm planning to DIY- am I crazy to be considering that? I work full time ( including some long days, nights and weekends). But so far we find time to go through the materials.
So I'm really relying on this group.

Please let's keep this active and post any relevant information, tips etc.

Thanks.
push-pull-mum

Post by push-pull-mum »

Zoe22 wrote: I work full time ( including some long days, nights and weekends). But so far we find time to go through the materials.
So I'm really relying on this group.
Sounds just like me, zoe22!
I'd rather DIY, partly because of the expense and partly because of the problem of co-ordinating work and child care and getting to a tutor at a set time and day.
I'm not very optimistic about 11+ at the moment. DS is working hard but there still seem to be a lot of gaps to plug. September 2015 doesn't seem that far away.
Anyone got any suggestions for helping to get Comprehension skills up? Definitely DS's weak point.
Minesatea

Post by Minesatea »

Have you tried the Schofield and sims books?

http://www.schofieldandsims.co.uk/key-stage-2-literacy/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Scroll down to their comprehension range.