Other options in Bucks

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
ajayboy

Other options in Bucks

Post by ajayboy »

Hi

We live in Hertfordshire. Due to the lack of any grammar schools around , we am looking at other options where catchment rules don’t apply. Looks like if we get through the tests in Bucks and get above the cut off , provided there enough places available after considering those living near by we might get a place

We are also considering moving before the tests but its all nerving i.e. what if we move and DD does not get into the grammar schools , also have a DS in primary school so we want to be sure that we can find a place for him.

Can the group suggest any other secondary schools to fall back on in case we move and DD does not get into grammar schools and also a good primary school for DS

Thanks
Guest55

Re: Other options in Bucks

Post by Guest55 »

We need a bit more of a clue about whereabouts in Bucks you are able to move to!
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

If you have good local schools and are happy where you are, I would stay put. Grammar school isnt necessarily the be all & end all. Some of the Upper Schools in Bucks are not very well thought of, and there is no guarantee of success in the 11plus. As G55 says, if you say which area, people can advise you on the local grammars, uppers & primary schools.
scary mum
ajayboy

Post by ajayboy »

Hi

There is no specific preference but I was towards Aylesbury Grammar as I felt that based on my DD ability she is more likely to get in there and as she has a younger brother it would help him in future as well with the sibling advantage

If we miss 11+ if she can get into a good secondary then we would be happy and she can always try for 12+ . Also thinking ahead we would be better placed for my DS who is only in year 1.

We would like to consider areas based on school. I travel into London for work and can drive to the nearest station and jump on a train for London

Thanks

Ajay
anotherdad

Post by anotherdad »

As others have said, you need to narrow it down a little, especially if you want a recommendation for a primary school.

No matter how able your daughter is I think it very unlikely she will get a place at Aylesbury Grammar School.

With your transport needs, I can recommend the Chiltern Line as a reasonably reliable route into London. Marylebone is probably the least convenient mainline station in London (only on the Bakerloo Line) but the route via Amersham can be relatively cheap because from Amersham, you pay Underground ticket prices which are much cheaper than from the stations further out of London. For the mix of schools and travel options, I would look to Amersham, Chesham and the Chalfonts. A very expensive part of the world, because of the travel links and schools, but it would seem to fit the bill.

The 12+ can be a postcode lottery. Keep an eye on sibling policies too, they may change or move on the order of priorities.
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

Ajayboy, a year ago you were being very proactive with a year 4 dd and puttig yourself in a great position to get a head start on 11 plus preparation. You are in the catchment area of DAO and can also apply for HBS and Clement Danes that have no catchment area and you also have very good local girls schools such as STAGS, Bishops, Presdates and Hitchin girls. You are very well off where you are, I have plenty of students who would love to swop with you and have your options Why would you move to Bucks, an area you know nothing about which will be more expensive, you will probably have to lose a bedroom and you will not be able to find a good primary for your ds. All the places at the good school s will already be taken. You have 16 weeks before you need to put your CAF form in and 12 weeks until the exams at DAO, HBS and Watford Consortium. By now you could have done two sets of Sutton mocks and signed up for Mill Hill County that would give you three trial runs. Instead you seem to be focusing all your efforts into moving somewhere different and losing all the advantages you currently have. What is it you think Bucks can offer you that Herts cannot? Transports links to London are a lot better in Herts. You could add some Bucks schools to your caf if you really think they are better, put them first and then if you dont get them you still have the Herts options. DG
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

There is no specific preference but I was towards Aylesbury Grammar as I felt that based on my DD ability she is more likely to get in there
I'm not sure what you meant by this? The same pass mark applies to all the grammars, after achieving the magic 121 places are allocated on distance.
Also thinking ahead we would be better placed for my DS who is only in year 1
He would still have to pass the 11plus himself, so again, you would need a good Upper to fall back on.
scary mum
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Aylesbury Grammar is a single gender school for boys - DD is not eligible!
ajayboy

Post by ajayboy »

Thanks anotherdad
Sorry I meant Alyesbury High School i.e for girls , I was a bit hopeful on this till they announced the new formats for 2 reasons
1) Until last year , they had offered place to any one who had achieved the qualifying score
2) They did not have maths in their tests which is a particular weak area for my DD
Things have changed this year with the introduction of CEM. I will research the areas have you mentioned for upper schools and property prices

Daogroupie – Looking at the my DD capability and the comparing her performance so far to the scores required for the Herts selective schools you have mentioned , realistically it will be tough to crack them, I am optimistic and will get her to give a few but I am also being realistic and looking at other options.
Of the other state schools you have mentioned, except for Bishops none are in my catchment and I have heard that staying near enough these schools to get a place on distance is very expensive and still based on luck. It may be my perception but it is something I should explore so thanks for the suggestion.
My reason for staying where I am was based on my employment which was walking distance to current residence. Since changing Jobs that advantage is not there hence an opportunity to relocate where it’s easy to get into London and there is a choice of good schools not solely dependant on how close you stay to it.
If I look at other areas around for other choices, Bucks and Slough Consortium ( except for Langley) look possible options as they have schools which don’t need you to be in catchment , Slough Consortium does not have Maths yet which could play to my DD’s strengths.
If you don’t mind I will contact you for a further discussion .

Scary Mum – For those who are not in catchment area of selective and grammar schools , they can look at schools which don’t get enough applicants from their catchment with the cut off score . That way if my DD gets the magic score and if the school has available spaces she is likely to be offered a place. It can work out if we are flexible to move closer. It’s always better to have that option.

I am just looking at possibilities and options at this stage having got a better idea of my DD strengths and weaknesses while encouraging DD to carry on.

If nothing clicks , I am quite happy where I am. DD has learned a lot in this process and so have I. Quite happy with her progress and where she is compared to where she was a year ago, not comparing her with others, so not really loosing sleep but don’t want to feel I did not evaluate options.

Regards
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

If you have been steadily working since last July when you posted with a Y4 dd you should be in a very strong position. Huge progress can be made in a few months. I have students who can now complete papers that are streets ahead of the ones they were doing just a few weeks ago. You could rent in Enfield which would put you in catchement for DAO, Latymer and you would still be able to apply for Clement Danes and HBS and move closer to either of these if you got a place. You have a good chance of Presdales from your current location and STAGs has places this year, I know somebody from Watford who just got a place and you are closer. You would get Bishops and then you can appeal and stay on waiting lists for others. Or you could move to Hertford, get Presdales for DD and then Richard Hale for DS. You could then stay in current primary while on waiting lists for good schools in Hertford. DG
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now