Are these a good representation of the tests?

Discussion of the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Golightly

Are these a good representation of the tests?

Post by Golightly »

http://www.elevenplus.org/FREE.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Especially the NVR? As it is far harder than anything she's done in the past. She did well with the maths and VR papers.

This was her first go at an actual paper and just wish there was a definitive set to print or buy. Any advice/links on which ones are best would be so gratefully received.

Have to say I'm not enjoying this whole thing :(

Many thanks, Emma
Reading Mum

Re: Are these a good representation of the tests?

Post by Reading Mum »

It depends on your area. For my DD's target school IPS was a step on the journey but not as hard as the real thing
Golightly

Post by Golightly »

Thank you, she'll be sitting the Bexley and Kent tests. What are harder than IPL? We've only been using Bond Papers so far. Really appreciate your reply, Emma
mystery

Post by mystery »

For kent this year you should be practising the gl assessment practice papers as gl assessment sets the kent test this year. There are 6 papers in each subject. For bexley it is a new test this year. Read the bexley section.

No one should have real papers, so no one can really answer your question.
Golightly

Post by Golightly »

Ah, so there are no past papers? Didn't realise that! Your name made me laugh, as it sums this whole thing up! Have just been on the Bexley and Kent forums which are a wealth of knowledge, one person quoted Yoda “Always pass on what you have learned.” Love it!!
mystery

Post by mystery »

There are no past papers but the gl assessment papers show you all the possible question types for this year in kent. They also publish how to books. Also very good. Bexley now different as new tests this year from a different publisher. More extensive vocabulary needed. Harder to prepare for. Be ready to be surprised and not have done similar questions, and work fast.
Golightly

Post by Golightly »

Just on the GL website now. Nobody's mentioned GL, not her tutor or the mums I've spoken to, so thank you so so much! Yes, speed seems to be key, blimey when I think back to what I was doing when I was 10!!! Very grateful for your help, Emma
mystery

Post by mystery »

They are available on this website too, and in all good web bookshops!

Don't buy the packs which mix up all the different subjects - get the two sets for maths, two sets for VR, and two sets for NVR. Then there is a "how to do VR" book and a "how to do NVR" book which tell you how to do each GL assessment question type. Get the multichoice versions

Some people say that the current Kent test does not contain all the different VR types which GL assessment puts into papers in other authorities. No one can say where this info comes from though.

Just confirm that you are talking about Kent 2013?
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

Have a look here

http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/school ... nt-11-plus" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

and here

http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/school ... ey-11-plus" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

for more info about the 2 areas

also http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/shop/Regions/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Golightly

Post by Golightly »

Thanks so much again mystery. Yes 2013, does it shock you I'm not more clued up? :?