So, FGSG doing own test in Sept

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
GuiltyMum

So, FGSG doing own test in Sept

Post by GuiltyMum »

Hi Everyone

Daughter brought home a letter last week from FGSG via her primary school, stating that they are running an entry exam on the same day as Dover Girls in Spt 2013, so we have to choose!

Apparently, they are doing this to help lower appeals and enable girls in Shepway to show they can thrive. They are running trials for what will be in the test, so those details are not yet available. They are also having open evening in July rather than later in the year, so don't get caught out.

Time to choose whether FGSG or Dover, as the extra to the KCC test. :?
mystery

Re: So, FGSG doing own test in Sept

Post by mystery »

Do they realise that their test date clashes with Dover? It might be worth letting them know. I don't understand the bit about reducing appeals (how are they going to influence fewer parents to appeal?) or girls in shipway being enabled to thrive? What does that mean? All very odd.
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

It is a "second bite of the cherry", and additional to the Kent test:
This year, if you believe that your daughter would benefit from a grammar school education, it is possible to seek a place here at The Folkestone School for Girls both through our own procedure (the Shepway Test) and through the Kent Test. The reason we are making this change and introducing a second test is to ensure the maximum opportunity for girls in Shepway to demonstrate that they are of selective ability. The second test should also mean that fewer parental appeals are necessary later in the year.
To take part in the Shepway procedure, you will first need to register your daughter to take the Kent Test by 1st July 2013. You should then ensure that you register for the Shepway Test by completing the attached registration form and returning it to us by 19th July 2013.
The full text of the letter is here: http://www.folkestonegirls.kent.sch.uk/ ... Letter.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

There is possibly a little bit of local rivalry in the clash of test dates?
U400JB9

Post by U400JB9 »

Dover Girls is a very high achieving Grammar, we were about 10 miles out of catchment there, but live forever away from Folkestone and were invited there.
If they're going for rivalry, surely Folkestone will lose out. Not that I'm criticising Folkestone but it would take me less than a minute to chose :shock:
U400JB9

Post by U400JB9 »

According to he who must not be named......the Harvey are jumping on the bandwagon.

I an pleased I'm done with the Kent test.....one horrible test is enough. Some kids are going to end up sitting several :(
Peter

Post by Peter »

No bandwagon, this is a joint decision by Harvey and FSG.
mystery

Post by mystery »

So there are a few grammars now that in the future will be setting their own test in addition to, or instead of the Kent test? And some are scheduling their own tests for the same day as one another?

Sometimes I think that the 11plus should be for the decision-makers, not the children! Or have I misunderstood the situation?

If a lot of Kent grammars introduced their own test and dropped the Kent test it would make it logistically very difficult. Up to now, people could pass one test and fill up their CAF with grammars. If there are loads of tests, it won't be possible to have them all in time without clashes, or lots of school days lost.

Why don't the schools club together and commission a test they are happy with like the Bucks grammars have done?
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

Test is in addition to the Kent test.

Dover has had a separate test for ages, I know of several children ( ie children of friends and ex pupils of mine - not hearsay) who have been given a place at either Dover Boys or Girls having failed Kent Test, but passed Dover Test.
U400JB9

Post by U400JB9 »

yoyo123 wrote:Test is in addition to the Kent test.

Dover has had a separate test for ages, I know of several children ( ie children of friends and ex pupils of mine - not hearsay) who have been given a place at either Dover Boys or Girls having failed Kent Test, but passed Dover Test.
DD1 passed the Dover girls, and not the KT. As did her friend the year before. Neither off them were offered Dover . The friend had to appeal there on non qualification. She's in yr 10 now.
mystery

Post by mystery »

And are there other schools considering an additional test? Can't you just take the test for that school and not take the Kent test if they are happy with a Kent test fail?
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now