The 11+

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
katel

The 11+

Post by katel »

Does everyone on here think the 11+ is a fair and equitable way of deciding which 11 year old will go to which school?
Catherine

Post by Catherine »

No.
But it not more unfair than a system based on postcode or religious affiliation.
katel

Post by katel »

Granted. When I'm world dictator, nobody would be allowed to move house if they have school age children, and everybody would go to their nearest school. No arguments, no appeals ( except on the grounds of statemented special needs) Oh, and I'd abolish private education as well. That'd sort it out!
perplexed

????????

Post by perplexed »

What would it sort out?
katel

Post by katel »

It would go some way to sorting out the unfairness of a system where averagely bright children of middle class families stand a better chance of getting an excellent education than the very bright children of working class families.
Appeal Mum

Post by Appeal Mum »

When I'm world dictator.
I love it!

I have just added it to my book of phrases thanks Yoyo.

AM

11 plus

Post by Guest »

Why do you think bright children of middle class families have a better education than ones from a working class families.

Surely opportunities are there for us all to take. Some choose to take them others do not. Perhaps those that do take them when they arise just have more get up and go and faith in what they can achieve.

A working class parent
sj355

Post by sj355 »

averagely bright children of middle class families stand a better chance of getting an excellent education than the very bright children of working class families.
And how will you measure brightness given that you have abolished the 11+? Define average brigthness as opposed to high brigthness :!:
sj355
Guest1965

Post by Guest1965 »

I pay (some bursary help) for my sons education. I just want the very best for him. He is bright and passed his 11+ , and i am most certainly working class, well i was when i last checked the funds!
KES parent

Post by KES parent »

katel wrote:It would go some way to sorting out the unfairness of a system where averagely bright children of middle class families stand a better chance of getting an excellent education than the very bright children of working class families.
It depends what your definitions of middle class and working class are. If you're referring to income, with middle class people earning more than working class, then based on experience I would say it was in fact easier for low income families to access good independent schools via bursaries, whereas people earning just over the cut off limit for these have no chance of being able to afford to go there because all their income is already accounted for with mortgage, bills, etc. I am definitely middle class, with four children, and it is only the youngest one that we have been able to send to an independent school because I was able to return to work once he reached secondary age. As we had managed without my income for so long it was feasible to spend most of it on his school fees.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now