pls....help with 11 plus exam sw herts

Eleven Plus (11+) in South West Hertfordshire

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
adam2

pls....help with 11 plus exam sw herts

Post by adam2 »

hi!
i 'm preparing my dd for the 11+ this september. we are working through bond 9-10 maths and schofield and sims.in maths...can anyone suggest any other materials for sw herts consortium test...
scary mum

Re: pls....help with 11 plus exam sw herts

Post by scary mum »

Have you looked here?

http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/school ... re-11-plus" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
scary mum
adam2

Post by adam2 »

hi! thanks for reply..i've looked the web site...but there are lot of materials ..it,s not possible to do all the materials before the exam in september...can u tell what are more worth to do for at this stage...pls help
KS10

Post by KS10 »

From Parmiter's website:
http://www.parmiters.herts.sch.uk/admis ... emic-test/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
2g2c

Post by 2g2c »

Hi we went through this last year and found the Bond how to do... 11+ maths and VR books helpful, also the Non VR for Bushey Meads Tech Test.
My DD had a tutor for the maths and VR but these we found helpful to us when trying to explain things again during the summer holidays.
DD did very well in exam and got 1st choice school, but I think that continuing to do short test during the summer hols really helped.
3b1g

Post by 3b1g »

We used the following:

Maths:
1) the topics in 'How to do 11+ Maths'
2) Bond ten minute tests and papers
3) GL assessment practice papers

VR:
1) Susan Daughtrey's Technique & Practice books 1-4
2) Bond ten minute tests and papers
3) Athey & Alpha practice papers.
adam2

Post by adam2 »

hi ! many thanks for everyone who reply with valuable advice and guidance....
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

Hello, both my dds took both the music and academic tests and I have had students sit for the past two years and sitting again this year so I have been tracking this exam for some years.

There was a thread back in October about how the Maths was too easy and many very able candidates rushed it and lost marks by not reading the questions properly and then the Winter months candidates lost out heavily with the standardised scoring. One of my students got caught by this and got an ok maths mark but it was the lowest percentage mark in maths he had ever got. He did the Y6 Maths sats start of Y5 and got 100% and got 94% in the Sutton Mocks that put him in the top 2%. He also did various other mocks getting in the high 90's. So my advice to you would be to really focus on reading the question and checking and rechecking for Maths. I would use DAO and Latymer past papers and Habs Boys. On VR it is 100 in 45 minutes so focus on timing above all else, the questions are not hard, there are just a lot of them. Use Athey, Walsh, the Tutors and Bright Sparks. Sign up for Mill Hill County and use it as a mock. Do as many mocks as you can. Do not walk in there not having done an external timed exam. Pm for some suggestions. DG
RationalityRules

Post by RationalityRules »

3b1g has given you the perfect answer here in my opinion.

This sounds very simple, but it's good advice: check that times tables, addition and subtraction skills are absolutely secure and that your child can read graphs/tables of information accurately. For the Consortium exam, he/she is not going to be asked to convert litres to pints or work out sides of triangles using Pythagorus, but accurate working is going to be essential to get the sort of marks he/she will need if you're aiming for one of the more selective schools. RR
adam2

Post by adam2 »

many thanks for both of you
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now