ks3 maths

General forum for Secondary Education

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
yoyo123

ks3 maths

Post by yoyo123 »

can anyone recommend a good textbook and workbook fro ks3 maths.
katel

Post by katel »

Why not use the one the school uses?
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

My pupil is being home schooled. I'm trying to whizz her through KS3 as her parents want her to do GCSEs in 2 years.

Some school schemes cost a fortune..

:0(
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

This is not recommended unless the child is in Y9!! Read all the guidance on fast tracking and the pitfalls on the Maths Association website [educationg able pupils]

If you PM I can suggest texts but otherwise I will be advertising and get zapped!!
Catherine

Post by Catherine »

For discussion re condensed KS3, please read here:

http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... 80&start=0
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

sorry, I seem to have given the wrong impression!

I'm not doing a condensed course. She is in year 10 (or would be).

I was looking for a text and work book to use as a framework for teaching, so that when she does attempt GCSE with another tutor I can be sure that we have covered the right topics
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

You need to find out where she is and what gaps she has - try giving her a KS3 NC test paper if she did not do the tests - you can find old one on:

http://www.emaths.co.uk/KS3SAT.htm

PM me and I will suggest some good texts

Post by Guest »

Have you looked at David Raynors Essential Mathematics Books 7 - 9 which come with seperate answer books. When my son started secondary school they did not provide text books for individual use and texts varied in school from lesson to lesson. The school would not give me the name of a suitable text book (they said any KS3 book would do). I spent hours trawling private school/grammar school websites to find what books they used and came up with these as being very popular. we brought them and they have been brilliant. Don't know how useful they would be for GCSE though
KenR

Post by KenR »

For GCSE it's very important to use the correct text book corresponding to the exam board and modules that the school has selected. This is not quite so important in maths but it critical for science GCSEs.

My wife is a teacher and does quite a bit of GCSE biology tutoring for GCSE. She was surprised to find that some grammar schools in the West Midlands have issued the pupils with old text books that are totally inappropriate for the GCSE science modules they are taking.

Her view is that there is a high probability they could drop a grade or two as a result of this!

Perhaps something to check up with the school and teacher and if necessary buy the correct books yourself!
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

Thank you for the recommendation, I shall look out for those.

As I have pointed out I am NOT doing gcse maths with her another tutor will be doing that once we feel she is ready.I am just trying to find a framework so that we can cover the ks3 course work, she has been out of the school system for a year and missed a lot of work before that.

I have been teaching her basics for a year now, but we need to formalise it.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now