Parents Info Evening re Grammar / Secondary School entrance

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Booklady

Parents Info Evening re Grammar / Secondary School entrance

Post by Booklady »

Held last night at DD's school - and a new powerpoint was shown. I couldn't go to the eveing - but have just received the powerpoint.

Not much new in it (I don't see how to attach it here?) - but a few interesting comments in the speaker notes - which I have copied below - particularly rates of success in the review process, and details of weightings and standardisation:

Raw Scores:
Each pupil will have three raw scores
verbal ability
numerical ability
non-verbal ability

A raw score is the total number of marks awarded for correct answers. The marks for the verbal ability sections in the two tests are added together to produce a verbal raw score. The marks for the numerical ability sections in the two tests are added together to produce a numerical raw score. The marks for the non-verbal ability sections in the two tests are added together to produce a non-verbal raw score.

The elements are weighted as follows:
Verbal – 50% of the STTS (Secondary Transfer Test Score)
Numerical – 30% of the STTS
Non-verbal – 20% of the STTS

Standardisation & Weighting
Three raw scores
Each is age standardised
Weighted and combined to produce an overall result (STTS)
STTS and the three standardised scores will be provided in the results letter

Age-standardisation is a statistical process which removes the effects of the different ages of pupils in the same school year and so places them all on an equal footing. The weighting of the three sections will be decided when the results of the March trial are known.
For example one way of achieving a STTS of 121 if the weighting were 50% verbal, 30% numerical and 20% non-verbal is:
Pupil’s verbal standardised score of 140 x 50% = 70
Pupil’s numerical standardised score of 120 x 30% = 36
Pupil’s non-verbal standardised score of 75 x 20% = 15
Pupil’s STTS = 70 + 36 + 15 = 121

Range of Scores:
Standardised scores in previous years between 69 to 141
With new tests range of scores will be wider 40 to 180+
The same percentage of pupils will qualify as in previous years

STTS may, in future be as high as about 180 and as low as about 40. This greater spread of scores will give better differentiation between pupils, particularly around the qualifying score of 121.
An important implication of this is that the only score that will equate directly to previous tests is 121. No other score will equate directly, thus, for example an ‘old’ score of 110 will in future be a ‘new’ score of about 98.
None of this undermines the fact that the standardisation process puts all pupils on the same scale regardless of their chronological age at the time of testing. Even though the ‘old’ score was 110 and the new score is 98 this does not mean either score indicates the child is more or less able than the other – YOU CANNOT DIRECTLY COMPARE OLD AND NEW SCORES EXCEPT AT THE POINT OF 121.

What can I do if child does not qualify?

Ask for a Selection Review
Procedure in the results letter in October
Selection Review Panel sits November-January
Review outcomes included in 3 March allocation
Can still appeal later

The Selection Review process is currently being reviewed following the first year of usage. Any proposed changes and timings will be advised later in the process.

Parents have a choice as to either ask for a selection review which will happen in the autumn term or to wait until after 1 March and just appeal.

The advantages of going to review – you will know the decision before 1 March and if qualified will be qualified for ANY grammar school and you will be considered for all your preference Buckinghamshire grammar schools in the first round of allocations.

For 2013 entry, 221 cases were agreed at review (over 25% were successful) and, of those subsequently going to appeal for particular grammar schools over 35 were also successful having been unsuccessful at review. This route does however mean parents need to show that in their child’s case the review panel decision was not ‘fair consistent or objective’ and if they are successful can then put their full academic case to the panel who will consider it.

Non-Qualified Appeal?

Possible to go straight to appeal
Appeal still heard after 3 March
You would have to prove academic potential AND why a place should be offered above number
Most schools will already be full by then

Some parents just went to appeal and to date less than 5 have been successful.

Hope its useful!! :D
Lillie

Re: Parents Info Evening re Grammar / Secondary School entra

Post by Lillie »

Thank you very much for this, Booklady. This does tell us the weighting of the separate elements which was not known before, I don't think.

Can't get my head round the standardisation at all though I'm no statistician! It does seem though that the overall aim is to give much greater differentiation in ability than the old scoring system.
Booklady

Post by Booklady »

Lillie wrote:Thank you very much for this, Booklady. This does tell us the weighting of the separate elements which was not known before, I don't think.

Can't get my head round the standardisation at all though I'm no statistician! It does seem though that the overall aim is to give much greater differentiation in ability than the old scoring system.
Yes - I hadn't seen the weightings before.
The standardisation certainly seems to give a much broader spread of scores - which I guess is a good thing ? :D
heartmum

Post by heartmum »

Many thanks, Booklady, for this feedback :D . Gives a bit more clarity in an otherwise foggy area! :shock:
Heartmum x x x
SB888

Post by SB888 »

Many thanks for sharing this information with us, Booklady - much appreciated!
Booklady

Post by Booklady »

If anyone wants the presentation I'll send it over if you pm me - but the most interesting bits are here. Won't be till tomorrow though - its saved on my work PC.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now