History GCSE

Discussion and advice on GCSEs

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

estelle

History GCSE

Post by estelle »

Hi

My DS is now half way through most of his GCSEs. Just taken Maths early but the rest are next summer. He is doing end of year exams & despite a lot of revision he is finding the history difficult. He follows the Edexcel History A syllabus in Modern World History. He has the text book and has made copious notes. Can anyone recommend a good revision guide which might help him?

Thank you.
KB

Re: History GCSE

Post by KB »

Have you checked the school web site to see if there is any help on there?
I would also speak to the teacher and check if they have given guidance and what the expectations are at this stage.

Experience with all DCs is that its more about understanding and technique than committing to memory.
Making bullet point notes on main ideas for each topic is probably helpful (rather than copious notes) and memorising main dates and the order of central events then answering past paper questions (even if its just a plan rather than full answer) to check the knowledge can be applied.

We didn't use revision guides as had brilliant teachers who pretty much provided revision materials themselves so can't help with that bit - sorry.
estelle

Re: History GCSE

Post by estelle »

Thank you for your response. The teacher is excellent & had given revision materials, my DS had also made revision cards highlighting main facts & dates but despite that felt that the first exam did not go well. I think your suggestion of making planned answers to check knowledge is the way to go. I will get more past papers so he can practise applying what he knows!

Estelle