Tiffin consultation

Eleven Plus (11+) in Surrey (Sutton, Kingston and Wandsworth)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Peridot

Tiffin consultation

Post by Peridot »

Hello all: although I have read much useful information on this forum (thank you) I haven't submitted a post before. I thought those of you interested in Tiffin School would like to know that there is now a consultation document on the school website asking for comments on a proposal to expand the school to six forms of entry, i.e. 180 pupils. As a current Tiffin parent I have been sent a copy of the document, but it is now also in the public domain and the school is seeking opinions.
Snowdaddy

Re: Tiffin consultation

Post by Snowdaddy »

Peridot wrote:Hello all: although I have read much useful information on this forum (thank you) I haven't submitted a post before. I thought those of you interested in Tiffin School would like to know that there is now a consultation document on the school website asking for comments on a proposal to expand the school to six forms of entry, i.e. 180 pupils. As a current Tiffin parent I have been sent a copy of the document, but it is now also in the public domain and the school is seeking opinions.
Link to consultation on Tiffin Boys school website

http://www.tiffin.kingston.sch.uk/user/74/260106.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
tiffinboys

Post by tiffinboys »

Thanks Peridot and Snowdaddy.

Although I would have welcome the expansion. But how inappropriate (I wanted to use some other word here) of Tiffin to mention shortage of secondary school places in Kingston as the reason for this expansion.

Correct me if I am wrong, but I believe that the current capacity mentioned in the consultation includes Tiffins' capacity as well. We all know that very small number of Tiffins' capacity is held by Kingston borough children. Any increase in capacity will also be taken over by children from outside Kingston borough. Tiffin does not care about children in Kingston, so it seems, and should not be using this line of reasoning.

If Tiffin is serious about capacity issues in Kingston borough, the only way is to allocate places on distance, as it has been suggested many times.

I suspect the real reasons for the proposed expansion have nothing to do with capacity issues in Kingston - more likely it has to do with financial benefits that school may drive from additional number of students, particularly the 6th form students.
Snowdaddy

Post by Snowdaddy »

I strongly agree with Tiffinboys.

If the reason was to increase capacity for Kingston students, it could have been acheived by restricting distance (geographically the borough is tall and narrow so would still have some from places like Teddington) even if 3-4 mile distance limit had been imposed.

Nore realistically the 1668 secondary places includes Tiffin (and Tiffin Girls), but about 200-230 of the 140+150 places are offered outside the borough so is nearer 1450 places in Royal Borough of Kingston.

The consultation is already out of date as the 180 place Free school (sponsored by RBK with partners) in North Kingston means the deficit of places predicted is now wrong, there will now be a surplus until 2018.

Of course the consultation is only a paper exercise as money has already been spent on obtaining planning permission for the extra classrooms (submitted year ago 14/06/12, obtained 06/11/12), its ref is 12/12391/FUL available in isis maps on RBK website http://maps.kingston.gov.uk/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
panicattack

Post by panicattack »

If you read the consultation carefully, they mention that other changes are being considered to admissions which will be put out to consultation in 2014 for 2015 entry. This could well include catchment and/ or a change to the entrance exam as the Girls' school has done.

Would have thought that most people would think more places is a good idea so supporting the expansion now in the consultation would seem sensible. (Agree that money is probably the driver behind this. Grammar schools are quite strapped for cash so a good reason to expand).
tiffinboys

Post by tiffinboys »

Snowdaddy wrote:
Of course the consultation is only a paper exercise as money has already been spent on obtaining planning permission for the extra classrooms (submitted year ago 14/06/12, obtained 06/11/12), its ref is 12/12391/FUL available in isis maps on RBK website http://maps.kingston.gov.uk/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
panicattack wrote:If you read the consultation carefully, they mention that other changes are being considered to admissions which will be put out to consultation in 2014 for 2015 entry. This could well include catchment and/ or a change to the entrance exam as the Girls' school has done.
This consultation looks like a joke - consultation for the sake of consultation and for wrong rationale. Waste of resources really.

As the increase in places is from September 2015, Tiffin could have consulted about expansion within the regulatory timeline before 31 March 2014 deadline, together with 'other changes' (if any) they wish to propose.

One fails to understand the need for this consultation at this time. Is it to officially 'leak' the expansion plan?
panicattack

Post by panicattack »

I expect they wish to get a clear cut answer on the simple question of whether the school should expand or not without getting "yes but only if you have a catchment and get rid of those silly NV reasoning questions" and similar responses.

I expect that as with most consultations the decision has almost certainly been made though Wilson's did do a U turn on going co-ed after their consultation.

People should make their views known either way. More places are surely a good thing?

The school should probably be praised for taking a sensible step which will help shore up the finances. Tiffin Girls and Wilson's are expanding and I'm sure one or two others might follow suit in Surrey. It's probably a financial imperative.

My guess is that some form of defined catchment similar to TGS might be proposed later which I guess will get the debate going again...
tiffinboys

Post by tiffinboys »

panicattack wrote:I expect they wish to get a clear cut answer on the simple question of whether the school should expand or not .............
If life was so simple............. :wink:

They will still get a detailed response atleast from me - with analysis of figures provided by the Tiffin itself.
tiffinboys

Post by tiffinboys »

Tiffin School's consultation is coming to close in next few days.

The expansion is very unlikely to achieve its stated objective of meeting shortfall of secondary school places in Kingston.

My view is supported by looking at the 2013 intake of Tiffin Girls. Despite increase in Admission Numbers to 150, the local intake has gone down slightly as ever more number of applicants compete for places from even distant places than the previous years.