NVR books in order of harder........

Advice on 11 Plus NVR papers and problems

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Sharpboy

NVR books in order of harder........

Post by Sharpboy »

Hi All,

Anyone tell me NVR books in level of harder.Because nvr needs more n more practice.

thnx
Araucana girl

Re: NVR books in order of harder........

Post by Araucana girl »

Sharpboy wrote:Hi All,

Anyone tell me NVR books in level of harder.Because nvr needs more n more practice.

thnx
Please please someone answer this as I would love to know as well. Trying to give dd as wide a variety as possible for CEM exam this year and panicking!
"Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere."

Albert Einstein
KhadijahA-R

Post by KhadijahA-R »

I found this thread helpful http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... n&start=40" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Hope that helps :)

OOOPS :oops:
Sorry that is for VR.
Would also like to know the answer to this question :D
IronMikeTyson

Post by IronMikeTyson »

Why do you think practicing harder NVR papers would help ?
From the sample papers that schools publish, the nvr component does not seem difficult-the difficulty is in the number of questions that are required to be answered in a short time.I would focus on technique and speed on a variety of papers.
"To err is human;to forgive ,divine"
Araucana girl

Post by Araucana girl »

IronMikeTyson wrote:Why do you think practicing harder NVR papers would help ?
From the sample papers that schools publish, the nvr component does not seem difficult-the difficulty is in the number of questions that are required to be answered in a short time.I would focus on technique and speed on a variety of papers.
Have you had experience of an actual test? I would be wary of taking the sample paper examples as the level of complexity required... but do agree the timing is also a very big issue. I just want to ensure my dd has seen as wide a sample as possible - if I have found ones that she is good at and someone says that another publisher's are a lot lower standard of complexity, I will place less emphasis on those in our practice sessions - we are entering for CEM and the normal Essex CSSE exams and therefore are tight on time for nvr as it isn't in the standard Essex CSSE.

Does that make more sense now? :D
"Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere."

Albert Einstein
Stocky

Post by Stocky »

I found the key with NVR was not the difficulty of papers, but rather being aware of the different question types and the approach, unlike VR, there aren't as many types. For example - "odd one out or most in like" and "most like" require the same 2/3 step technique. My DC's had stronger and weaker types and both were different, DS struggled with most like and most unlike which require similar approaches, so that was normal, DD didn't have a problem with them. If I recall a couple of GL pack 2 papers were 'weirder', but with the others, I found once they'd done paper 1 in the pack and got a feel for the style, papers 2-4 were then OK. Found the CGP ones the least useful. Only used bond 'books' (not papers) for additional practice on weaker types, but with the exception of the 11-12 ones, found them slightly easier.
mystery

Post by mystery »

How does anyone know whether the preparation they did worked as well for them on the day as something else they might have done?
beenish

Post by beenish »

u can get 11plus ipad application for just 69 p from this website. nefr gl assessment both packs r v useful.but i find 2nd pack very harder. depending upon school few recommended books are first past the post and cgp alongwith ips. but again it depends how quickly ur child understands just looking at shape. its juts the approach or i may say its IQ. some are so difficult that i am unable to understand.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now