do you get the exam scores before you apply for schools?

Eleven Plus (11+) in South West Hertfordshire

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Windyday

do you get the exam scores before you apply for schools?

Post by Windyday »

I just wondered if they gave you the actual score your child achieved before you fill in the LEA application form. Or is it just a note saying it is either owrht appying or not worth applying.
Our son will be doing just the Latymer test I think
Daogroupie

Re: do you get the exam scores before youo apply for schools

Post by Daogroupie »

Last year some schools like DAO and QE gave you your mark and some schools like HBS did Band A who could apply and Band B who couldnt. Latymer only managed to do their first round before CAF last year and sent letters about getting through to second round which had different wording, did well, did very well. This year they will have finished their exams before CAF as they have to so we dont know if they will do score or bands. One thing is sure if that they will tell you if it is worth applying or not. DG
Windyday

Post by Windyday »

Thanks for that.
I want to shield him as much as poss from all of the scores and hassles.
He's just been told that he will maybe get a choice of schools if he does better than some of the other kids
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

Are you in the DAO catchment area? If so you might want to sit DAO and QE to give you some more options. Results of tests happen all the time at Secondary school. It's news for a day and then everyone moves on. It's something he will need to get used to if his primary school has been playing secret squirrel with test results. Dg
Mgnmum

Re: do you get the exam scores before you apply for schools?

Post by Mgnmum »

although not relevant to the person asking the question, others may read the initial question and want to know the answer for other schools. All the west herts consortium give you the standardised score of maths and verbal reasoning and then your total score. Also you get your music score. You are then advised to look at historical data showing the lowest scores required to get in to a particular school and make your decision as to whether to apply or not.
Windyday

Re: do you get the exam scores before you apply for schools?

Post by Windyday »

I think DAO is a bit far away from us.
We also wondered if QE boys seemed a bit sporty and full on somehow.
My son is a bit eccentric and he doesn't need to be pushed hard.
We went to the talk at latymer and felt it was a bit more liberal.

And I don't know what the primary school do, I just don't want to make a big fuss about the exams, results and final school choice.
It's important but not something to upset him about.

He knows that if he does really well and gets more than most of the other 1800 kids then he gets a choice of schools.
He went to see latymer and liked it, but he also liked the local comp so he doesn't mind where he goes to be honest
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now