It's this morning - in a panic. Etienne??

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
pickle

It's this morning - in a panic. Etienne??

Post by pickle »

:(

My appeal is this morning and I wondered if anybody had any last minute tips/advice for me, especially Etienne if she's around..

We've written a presentation including a supporting statement, followed by pieces of evidence, then we've lots of questions to ask the school regarding its case and other issues and then we've a summing up. We're basically going to read it word for word as we're both so nervous :( will this be OK?

I'm concerned that this particular school will not be expecting parents to challenge their case and I'm worried it will annoy them and will it actually make any difference to the decision anyway??? It's probably already been made on what we've submitted so does it matter what we say when we're in there? We just feel we need answers but doubt they will tolerate this.

Any advice??

Pickle.
pheasantchick

Re: It's this morning - in a panic. Etienne??

Post by pheasantchick »

In my appeal, I got asked general questions which I felt were aimed whether we would support dc once on grammar school. Ie . If dc did alot of sport/ time consuming hobby, and had alot of homework, what would happen (my answer - give up a sport).

Also, I got asked about reading. Fortunately, dc had asked me to buy the latest in the James Patterson Middle school series the night before so I could quote that!

Apt of the questions were general questions to determine what sort of boy dc was, rather then pure academic ability etc.

I definantly felt that no decision had been made to after the appeal, so don't worry. The questions were probing but friendly.

Good luck and let us know how you got on.
mystery

Post by mystery »

Sorry I'm not Etienne and good luck. Does it matter if you annoy the school? It should the panel making the decision not the school; that is why it is supposed to be an independent panel. You can only do what you think is the best way to make out your case and then just wait to see what happens. If you change the way you do things for fear of what people might think then if you don't succeed you will only regret afterwards not making the points you feel you should have made.
tobyprice

Post by tobyprice »

I hope it went well for you. Others are right in that the panel will not be looking for polish but content.

Let us know how it went - a few of us would be very interested, especially in how the IAP considers the school's case. Sadly, I sense that they will rubberstamp the school's case, leaving all the awkward discussions for the DC versus the school sessions later.
pickle

Post by pickle »

Thank you for the replies. It's much appreciated :)

Think we are going to have to stand our ground with this particular school and I envisage it being fairly harrowing. I just hope that after all this time spent preparing, we don't bottle it when we get in there and refrain from making our points!

Now where's the Rescue Remedy? :wink:

Thanks for all the support on here.

Pickle.
pickle

Post by pickle »

tobyprice wrote:Let us know how it went - a few of us would be very interested, especially in how the IAP considers the school's case. Sadly, I sense that they will rubberstamp the school's case, leaving all the awkward discussions for the DC versus the school sessions later.
Thank you. Could you explain your thoughts to me a little further. I'm unsure about the 'DC versus the school sessions' bit :roll:
tobyprice

Post by tobyprice »

that might be my fault. I had assumed you were talking about an oversubscription appeal, but you may be talking about a qualification appeal. If the former then good luck. If the latter, then the school has to argue why the admission of an extra child would be a greater prejudice to them than the non-admission would be to your DC.

In Bucks, they are splitting the qualification appeal apart from the oversubscription appeal by several weeks. I would be interested to know if you are doing both (assuming the school is oversubscribed) at the same time.
pickle

Post by pickle »

Yes, we're appealing non-qual and now the school is full, oversubscription - all in the one hit :shock:

Pickle.
tobyprice

Post by tobyprice »

More stress in one session for you, but we have the 'lovely' waiting period now until our separate oversubscription appeal, knowing our DD is qualified to go to the same school as her friends, lives in catchment, yet may not get in because the original local review was not proved to be fair, consistent and objective by the school!

In short, the IAP stated that the school failed to deliver a fair original appeal, after which she should have been granted a place automatically, and the school is now appealing that she shouldn't be admitted because they're full. Hmmm.
pickle

Post by pickle »

My goodness. What a nightmare for us all!

We're not even sure whether they're going to apply FCO yet but I want to ask the school if they are as I don't want this being used as a reason he didn't get a place at a later date and we've not been able to challenge it. It's all so confusing!

From feedback from another appellant, they didn't refer to the local review at all in her appeal. I think that's sttrange and possibly tactical. It's mind boggling :roll: