NFER

11 Plus English - Preparation and Information

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
ah

NFER

Post by ah »

Hi,

would like to know your thoughts on NFER english papers.

Ah
fm

Post by fm »

I no longer use NFER English exam papers. I do quite like them but I'm not sure they are specfic to any of the Birminghan schools in which you are interested. They are certainly not applicable to Sutton Girls. The proofreading part could be useful for KE state but I don't tend to use it, either, because it is sectioned off into separate spelling and punctuation sections whereas, in the real exam, it is mixed. For KE private the comprehension is not multiple choice but traditional with interpretative rather than factual questions and more than one point available per question so I'm not sure if it is useful for this.

All that said, if you have the time and your child has the inclination, it wouldn't do any harm. Scorewise, even my better English students don't tend to score more than about 42 in these so don't expect a particularly high score.
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

whereabouts in the country are you?

May be worth checking to see what format teh Engkish component is
eg here in Kent ther eis no English paper. Instead the pupils do a piece of writing which is only looked at if their scores are borderline
ah

Post by ah »

Hi,

Thanks to you both for the reply.

I'm in Birmingham, as sutton dont do an english paper, so i've been told, we were going to get the sutton test out the way and then concentrate on English.

We have done some English but not enough!

Ah