Feeding Teenage Boys

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
doodles

Feeding Teenage Boys

Post by doodles »

I need some help please.

How do you all feed your teenage boys? My 14yo DS is a big lad, nearly 6 ft tall, size 12 feet and a 16.5 collar. He does sport / training on a nearly daily basis and seems to be permanently starving, however he has inherited the "puts on weight eating lettuce gene" from me.

He seems to want carbs all the time and apples and bananas and my healthy suggestions just don't cut the mustard. Are your boys permanently hungry too?

Any ideas?
thankgoditsover

Re: Feeding Teenage Boys

Post by thankgoditsover »

I have 2 girls the youngest being 12 and tiny but she treats our huge american fridge freezer like her personal nose bag. Honestly after a big weekly shop my two are like a plague of locust swarming through the kitchen cupboards :roll: Thankfully both spend huge amounts of time swim training. I do wonder sometimes whether they are drinking enough and do nag them to drink more, sometimes hunger is actually thirst although they don't realise it. Other than that i try to hide the naughty bits and fill the fridge with fruit and yoghurts.
solimum

Post by solimum »

Pasta, stir-fry, chilli, omelette, beans on toast, fajitas - teach him how to cook a few things quickly, and they needn't necessarily be unhealthy . A sandwich toaster is great for hot filling snacks they can make themselves. Teenage boys have enormous and irregular appetites, which in my experience never seem to coincide with when the rest of the household wants to eat.

fishfingers and custard are I believe also popular in some circles...
doodles

Post by doodles »

Not sure about the last recipe tip :lol: but is this carb craving normal then?
KS10

Post by KS10 »

Smoothies are quite good too. We buy frozen blueberries, raspberries and mango. We all find it quite filling, including my 14 year old.
stroudydad

Post by stroudydad »

DS1 is 12, eats like there's no tomorrow, yes he is active but he's not tall for his age, and quite frankly although quite muscular he is wiry, no fat on him anywhere.. I'm quite jealous really..
Last edited by stroudydad on Thu Jun 13, 2013 10:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
inmystride

Post by inmystride »

solimum wrote:Pasta, stir-fry, chilli, omelette, beans on toast, fajitas - teach him how to cook a few things quickly, and they needn't necessarily be unhealthy . A sandwich toaster is great for hot filling snacks they can make themselves. Teenage boys have enormous and irregular appetites, which in my experience never seem to coincide with when the rest of the household wants to eat.

fishfingers and custard are I believe also popular in some circles...
......yes, but only whilst wearing a bow tie and fez........ :-)
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

DS1 seems to be hungry all the time. Last night he was looking for something to eat at 10.30pm. After offering yoghurts & fruit I remembered the vat of lentil & veg soup in the fridge and he had some of that - very filling, very healthy and a sneaky way of getting veg into him. Think I might keep some in there a bit more often.
scary mum
Jiff

Post by Jiff »

doodles, in my experience carb craving is very normal for teenage boys! I have three and despite providing large, home cooked meals they spend most of the time in between eating bread and toast. Our Sunday roast is 2.5-3 kg, and is accompanied by roast potatoes, two or three veg and followed by pudding, but I still find them foraging again an hour or so later. And none of them has an ounce of fat on them! :roll:
Sportsmum

Post by Sportsmum »

Sports-addicted 16yo is invariably examining the contents of the kitchen cupboards and fridge and cooking himself a "Scooby Snack" until the next meal! He finds wholemeal pasta keeps him full for longer - Tesco own brand is pretty reasonable taste wise, to which he adds grated cheese and ketchup or chunks of roast chicken or the odd tin of tuna. He also cooks beefburgers to have with a salad filled bun, or fish fingers to have with lettuce in a sarnie.

He also makes his own smoothies and shakes, adding whey protein and oats to bulk it out. He is very lucky and doesn't have a problem with his weight as such, but fights to keep his weight up as he does so much high level sport. Packets of cereal tend to disappear quite quickly as does porridge! Oh yes and yoghurt!

He's 6' 2 1/2" with size 13 feet and threatening to grow again.... The hungrier he is and the more food he tries to cram in, tends to mean another growth spurt. Just hope the feet don't grow!