Thinking of giving up :(

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Apple23

Thinking of giving up :(

Post by Apple23 »

Dear Sally-Anne and Etienne

First of all, I'd just like to thank you for the wealth of information on this site which has been useful to so many people for so long. I would massively value your advice on our case but I've hesitated to post before because it's really hard to post anything about it without making us identifiable. However, following a couple of recent developments, I'm now seriously considering giving up as everything seems stacked against us.

Would you be willing to take a look if I post information to the confidential box? I quite understand if not.

Many thanks
tobyprice

Re: Thinking of giving up :(

Post by tobyprice »

Hi Apple23. I'd understand completely if you did give up - the process is monumentally flawed and horrible to be a part of ... but I hope you don't! I'm sure E and S-A will advise well.
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Apple23 wrote:Would you be willing to take a look if I post information to the confidential box? I quite understand if not.
Certainly - we will wait to hear from you.
Apple23

Post by Apple23 »

Thank you so much - I'll compile my info and post it to the confidential box.
Apple23

Post by Apple23 »

And thank you toby - it's just awful isn't it :(
U400JB9

Post by U400JB9 »

Don`t give up, if you do there`ll always be `what if?` If you try and are unsuccessful, yes its heartbreaking, but you can look yourself in the eye and say you did your very best for your DC.

Good luck.
capers123

Post by capers123 »

tobyprice wrote:Hi Apple23. I'd understand completely if you did give up - the process is monumentally flawed and horrible to be a part of ...
Not always. We try to make it as un-stressful as possible, especially the appeal hearings. Some parents will put very little into the appeal , not getting stressed but have a very strong case, others get mega-stressed, throw everything at the appeal and go into great detail, looking into law, trying to find any little flaw with the process but actually have a weaker case.

The ultimate problem is that, like the 11+ exam itself, more people will loose than win. The schools only have a finite amount of space in which to fit desks and panels have to weigh up the case both for those appealling and for those children already allocated places.
Capers
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Capers, tobyprice is referring to the new Bucks system, as is Apple23.

Monumentally flawed pretty well covers it, to be honest.
tobyprice

Post by tobyprice »

Thanks Sally-Anne and to be fair, no one is suggesting that the people involved are trying to be awkward. It's just that this year, the new Bucks system seems to have some big holes!
Apple23

Post by Apple23 »

I've finally managed to get hold of all of the information needed for our appeal so have just emailed the appeals box with a brief summary. I'd be really grateful for any help you can give me if you think we should go ahead, especially with the FCO part.

Thanks so much

apple23