Unsuccessful Appeal.

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
pickle

Unsuccessful Appeal.

Post by pickle »

Hi all,

Had our letter and as title says, we weren't successful.

I'm fine with this. What I'm not fine with is the way in which the appeal went and what they wrote in their letter. I have posted the letter to the appeals box and I'd like to ask Etienne something.

At the bottom of the letter, they refer to FCO. Now we asked during our appeal if they were applying this rule and the school rep said no. We'd even given the solicitor a copy of questions we would ask if they were applying FCO. Also, when we sent our appeal in, we wrote that if they were to say review was FCO then we would challenge this.

How can they do this????

Pickle.
U400JB9

Re: Unsuccessful Appeal.

Post by U400JB9 »

I can't answer your FCO question but I just wanted to say your DC cannot fail to thrive, where ever they go to school, with a parent who cares as much as you do. I''ve followed your threads and you gave it your all.

Good luck to you and DC x
Last edited by U400JB9 on Tue Jun 18, 2013 3:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tobyprice

Post by tobyprice »

I think you may have a case, but I'm no expert! If you had a desk/local review and you went to IAP, then I thought, according to the legal Admissions Appeals policy, you HAD to go through FCO and obviously you would have wanted to contest their case. If they agreed your original appeal was FCO, but then turned down your academic argument, that might be different, but it doesn't sound like that.

Good luck with your DC whatever happens.

We are waiting for our oversubscription appeal and are not confident, because the systems is so subjective and seemingly random.
ginx

Post by ginx »

Good luck, Pickle to you and your dc. I too have followed your thread. You've done everything you can. x
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

At the bottom of the letter, they refer to FCO. Now we asked during our appeal if they were applying this rule and the school rep said no. We'd even given the solicitor a copy of questions we would ask if they were applying FCO. Also, when we sent our appeal in, we wrote that if they were to say review was FCO then we would challenge this.
1. Complain to the EFA about this. Also point out that FCO formed no part of the school's written case.
(Attach a copy of the questions you would have asked, and which you left with the clerk.)

2. Complain that the panel were prepared to accept the school case without any evidence (when it is inconceivable they would have shown the same latitude to appellants). Although you were offered an adjournment for the evidence to be provided, it was the panel that should have been requesting an adjournment in order to satisfy itself that there was more to the school case than assertions!

3. The school was in breach of paragraph 2.8 of the SAAC by failing to respond to your request for information. (Enclose copy of correspondence.)

4. There is no indication in the decision letter of what view the IAP took of your academic evidence, e.g. SAT levels and letter of support from current school (evidence specifically listed in the SAAC para. 13). Instead the IAP appear to have gone on a 'fishing expedition' with all appellants, seeking information about other (unsuccessful) 11+ results which may or may not be comparable.

5. The decision letter breaches good practice by not 'signposting' any right of complaint to the EFA.

6. The school and the appeal process seem to be much too close. For example:
    • a) Appeal correspondence had to be sent to 'Admissions' at the school.
      b) It was the Vice-Principal who responded to the appeal submission (not an independent clerk).
      c) The panel accepted the school case without any supporting evidence.
      d) In its written case the school went so far as to claim it would be 'wrong' for the IAP to offer an appellant a place. Stage one is meant to be the factual stage!
See: http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeals/ombudsman#d6" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
At the very end of D6 you will find a link to the EFA ("The above guidance is published by the EFA here"), and at the end of the linked pages you will find a complaint form.)
Etienne
ladybird1

Post by ladybird1 »

:( Thinking of you Pickle - it's such a roller coaster journey isn't it.
As for us, I just want our letter to arrive confirming what I already think it'll say, not because I don't think our case was strong, just that hardly any appeals get upheld annually, maybe 2 on average, so hardly hopeful. Anyway hopefully we'll soon find out and then we can properly move on.

Wishing you and your child all the very best, any developments, keep us updated x
Snowdrops

Post by Snowdrops »

Sorry to hear your news pickle.

Can someone tell me what FCO is please, I've either forgotten or never known and it's annoying me not knowing. Thank you.
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

Snowdrops wrote:Sorry to hear your news pickle.

Can someone tell me what FCO is please, I've either forgotten or never known and it's annoying me not knowing. Thank you.

Fair, Consistent and Objective

... though for some reason Foreign and Commonwealth Office keeps popping into my head.
tobyprice

Post by tobyprice »

I stand to be corrected, but I believe FCO (the first definition!) is only relevant where there has been a local review before an IAP, in which case the admissions authority has to prove that the SRP was FCO. If they can't, then the IAP can reconsider the academic evidence.
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

EFA ..... SAAC ..... FCO ..... SRP ...... IAP ......

Puzzled?

Try our handy guide to abbreviations! :lol:
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeals/abbreviations" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Etienne