Appeal against Bucks Grammar School Late Transfer.

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
sanaj

Appeal against Bucks Grammar School Late Transfer.

Post by sanaj »

Hello,

First of all, a big relief on finding such forum.

We moved to Milton Keynes recently. My Son was tested in June 2nd week 2013 for Sir Henry Floyd Grammar School in bucks for late transfer(currently he is in year 9).

He qualified with flying colors, as per the letter I received.
BUT, the school does not have a place for him; then appeal process and all.

I would like to know what are the chances that he will get this school if I appeal? Also what should be my points in the appeal?

P.S.- He has been refused a place in local state schools, all 3 preferences.

Would really be grateful for any help.

-Thanks
Sally-Anne

Re: Appeal against Bucks Grammar School Late Transfer.

Post by Sally-Anne »

sanaj wrote:I would like to know what are the chances that he will get this school if I appeal? Also what should be my points in the appeal?

P.S.- He has been refused a place in local state schools, all 3 preferences.
Unfortunately no one can tell you what your chances of success might be. Only the panel can decide that.

I suggest you start by reading our Appeals Q&A, especially this section: http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeal ... bed-school" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; .

You can also appeal for the other three schools if you wish to.
sanaj

Post by sanaj »

Hello,

Thanks for the reply.

However I had some doubts:

1) Can I know my son's waiting list number in Sir Henry Floyd? How?
2) Does the distance between my residence and school matter?
3) I live just outside the school's catchment area. I am ready to change my residence if it fetches a place for my son. Can I put this point in appeal form? Any improvement of chances? If I can't put it in the appeal form, what else can I do?'

-Thanks
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

sanaj wrote:1) Can I know my son's waiting list number in Sir Henry Floyd? How?
You need to ask the school because they maintain their own waiting list for Late Transfer applications.
2) Does the distance between my residence and school matter?
Yes, it does. Places for SHF are allocated in distance order (after some other categories), with catchment children having priority.
3) I live just outside the school's catchment area. I am ready to change my residence if it fetches a place for my son.
Although the school's Admissions Policy doesn't specify the timetable for any change of address, I suspect that they will continue to use the address where you were resident at the time of testing, whatever you do.
Can I put this point in appeal form? Any improvement of chances?

It won't help an appeal at all, and a panel would probably take a very dim view of you stating that you are happy to jump the queue by moving house.
If I can't put it in the appeal form, what else can I do?'
Apply for an appeal, put forward the best case you can and hope that it is successful.
carolineredwood

Post by carolineredwood »

We are in the same postion as you and wanting a place in Year 9 from Sept 13 at SHF. We are at present first place on the waiting list, bucks CC have informed us. Our child has passed and is gifted & talented in several subject area's but there is no space allocation, the school is totally over subscribed and no funding for additional students taken onboard. We have had our appeal this morning and to be honest I do not hold out very much hope, although we presented an excellent case and the panel were very sympathetic to our cause. Even Mr Box the headmaster very kindly came came along.
We have done everything possible so fingerscrossed, we will know in 5 days.
It seems harsh when you have passed but I guess it is a question of pupil safety.

It does go on distance from school gates for the waiting list.
It might be better to try the Royal Latin-best of luck.