Last day wobbles

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

U400JB9

Last day wobbles

Post by U400JB9 »

I know it's all very exciting, leaving primary and going to ' big' school, but what are you all planning for the last day.

DD2 goes to a tiny rural primary, and they are all very close, there have already been tears, I'm dreading the leaver s ceremony and actually leaving on the last day.

What are you all doing to celebrate / distract them ?
Reading Mum

Re: Last day wobbles

Post by Reading Mum »

DD finishes at lunchtime but they will have had a disco type evening at a local play barn/ball pit place the night before - chosen so that they can have an evening being little girls again rather than the mini grownups they like to think they are. I will be taking her and her 2 best friends to meet a couple of others at Ed's Diner and then they will be let loose in town 'on their own' for a little bit - only her 2nd time doing this so it is still quite exciting. One of the friends will come back to our house to play for a couple of hours and that is it really.
They have open day on the Friday before with a yr 6 awards ceremony after it and I expect that will be very teary.
ginx

Post by ginx »

U400JB9, I will be in tears as well (although trying to hide them). The last day of an era. No more collecting dd2 from junior school, chatting to mums I've known for ever (I hope we stay in touch), and not seeing dd2's friends as well.

Dd2 will come out of school, probably crying; but she is off to a well-timed birthday party an hour after breaking up. She will come home and want to make herself look beautiful so I expect the tears will be over quite quickly.

A clever idea to have a birthday party afterwards.
U400JB9

Post by U400JB9 »

Now we do in fact have a July birthday.......and no party arranged :idea:

I will be distraught, DD2 is my youngest and I feel as though I'm leaving too. With DD1 it was exciting and I had a reserve child :lol:
Pumpkin Pie

Post by Pumpkin Pie »

On the last day there is a Leaving Ceremony at the school in the morning, then we are free to take the children home. The school is next to a lovely park, so most parents and children go to the park with picnics or we take over the restaurant there. It's a lovely atmosphere and in recent years it has always been lovely and sunny!

At the beginning of the final week we have a special Leavers Family Mass at the local church, where the children are given little gifts and each child gives their family a red rose (got me teary thinking about it). All their Leavers Books are on display too.

Another evening, the children are treated to a trip to the Bowling Alley, food included.

So, they get a wonderful send off. It will be quite sad this year, as that will be me finished with Primary School. Where do all the years go? :D
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

The last week will be
Tuesday Leavers day service (It's a church school)
Wednesday evening year 6 leavers play.
Friday school finishes early at the end of a term, so I guess we will go into the park next the school and have a picnic,if the weather is good. There's usually an ice cream van in the playground on the last day too.
Friday evening is the leavers party. They will be getting a leavers present and a year book I believe. I'm considering having some of the parents at mine while they are at the party as I live close to the school.
It's traditional to take in a shirt for everyone to sign on the last day. Since DD has a number of shirts that she won't be wearing again, I think we can spare one. I think a number of schools do this.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now