What are my daughter chances in Bexley and Kent ?

Discussion of the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
vaani2003

What are my daughter chances in Bexley and Kent ?

Post by vaani2003 »

Hi All
My daughter is 9yr and 8 months . We are immigrant and unfortunately had not much idea about the test for the Grammar schools. Also i have to say that unfortulately the level of teaching in schools associated with the council's which do not have any grammar school, is really horrible. All in all i want to say that my daughter is not prepared for Grammar schools.

But on the other hand she is very bright and we believe she is definitley a candidate for the Gschools. We prepared her for 4 days , very less maths but good amount of VR and NVR and English. She scored 92 in VR , 87 in NVR, 95 in English and unfortunately 60 in maths. She don't have much practice in maths but as i said it was all in 4 days.

We have 2 months left for the exams and we have put her in the "Yes" (Education school) in greenwich headed by Lin Potter. We are very confident about her.

Guys give my daughters background and the score for her age with very minimal prep, do you think she stand any chance in Bexley Grammar / Kent tests ?

Also what is the average score in all 4 topics to get an assurance of admissions in these schools ?

One last thing i wanted to ask , we have applied for Bexley Grammar test and Kent (on the council website) , is there anything more i need to do ? I mean anyother grammar school we need to apply or have we missed anything ? We live in Kidbrooke Se3

Thanks very much in advance
Vivek
fatbananas

Re: What are my daughter chances in Bexley and Kent ?

Post by fatbananas »

Isn't your daughter currently in year 4 if she's 9 and 8 months? She wouldn't therefore be taking the exam until September 2014, not this coming September.
Seize the day ... before it seizes you.
vaani2003

Post by vaani2003 »

My daughter is in year 5 as she was born in ......., she is the youngest in the class. Sorry was my mistake 9yr 10 mths, i meant

Thanks
Vivek
Last edited by vaani2003 on Thu Jul 04, 2013 8:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
fatbananas

Post by fatbananas »

I see. Well her scores seem pretty good and everyone on here has recently been reassuring me that maths is something that can be raised pretty quickly with enough practice and there is still 2 months before the exam. Whatever the outcome, I'm sure she will do well in life because she is clearly a bright girl with supportive parents.
Seize the day ... before it seizes you.
vaani2003

Post by vaani2003 »

Thanks Fb for uplifting my morale :)

Is there anyone who can tell me the stats ( i mean marks in individual section ) for an admit in the grammar schools

Thanks very much
Vivek
mystery

Post by mystery »

Sorry I do not understand what those scores are you have given? What tests were they? And are those marks centiles or percentages or standardised scores?

If you are doing kent in 2014 do all the gl assessment practice papers as they set the 2014 test.

Bexley has a new test this year set by cem. See the bexley forum for more details.

As you live a long way away you are going to have to rEad the admission policy for each school in detail. You will need to apply to schools that have a policy of taking children by the score they achieve rather than their distance from the school so your dd will have to score very highly.
vaani2003

Post by vaani2003 »

Thanks mystery

Those scores are the scores from the assessment exams that were being given to my DD for an admit to the grammar school coaching.

Currently we will be applying for Bex / Sidcup / Townley

Also is there anyone who can post reviews about "YES" coaching in Greenwich headed by Lin Potter ?, like wat are the pass rates for the grammar school from there etc

thanks
mystery

Post by mystery »

Were those scores percentages? Not sure how anyone can give you the information you need re. YES coaching - it would require them to follow up their clientele and find out how they fared in all the various exams around.

Your school names - which county / borough are each of them in? I think they are all Bexley aren't they, so why are you asking about Kent?

Have you read their admissions policies? Do you know who sets the test e.g. CEM, GL assessment, a n other, the school themselves? I think they are all Bexley schools that use the Bexley test (which is now CEM) but you need to check.

Sorry but your questions are too sweeping at the moment for people to help you adequately. Really you need to find out more about each school and then go into the relevant forum with your questions.
vaani2003

Post by vaani2003 »

Thanks mystery
And very sorry to confuse you all. As i mentioned we are new to the schooling system here, so we are confused as well.

We are in the Greenwich Council, Bexley schools are near to us and yes we should look into grammar schools in bexley and i mentioned Chiselhurst , Bexley Grammar, Townley.

Looking at kent and bromley as well, so that our daughter can get in any of the grammar schools. Distance won't matter as we are ready to move.

Thanks
mystery

Post by mystery »

It does matter as you have to look at the rules about where you live at the time of application. Unless it is a superselective. Please read everything for yourself firsthand or it will go badly wrong. It is confusing for everyone. It isn't a national system, or even an area-wide system.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now