Which Primary School?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Berkshire (Berks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Hambletron

Which Primary School?

Post by Hambletron »

Hi,

A bit early for this site I know but I'm trying to research primary schools in my area for my wee man. The OFSTED reports, I have been told, are not a fully accurate reflection of the school as it only counts eligible pupils. For instance, if there are 100 in a class and only 20 students are eligible and all get 100%, the school will show as 100% even though 80 pupils do not have results!

My idea was to see which schools are sending the most pupils to Grammar schools after the 11+ - Sounds simple but I can't find any info anywhere on schools 11+ results or where pupils are going after primary school! I did go to school in this area (Bucks/Berks) but this is going back many many years so what was good then is not likely to be the same now! Any advice and tips would be VERY gratefully received! I have been researching this since I found out I was pregnant with my son and, 3 years later I am still none the wiser and the clock is ticking!

Does anyone know if I can just contact the Grammar schools and ask where their pupils are coming from? I don't want to ask for anything that they're not allowed to give!

Thanks in advance...
aliportico

Re: Which Primary School?

Post by aliportico »

I don't understand your first point about Ofsted eligibility, I'm afraid.

As to your second - no Berkshire schools will do any grammar entrance preparation, so as long as the school isn't actively damaging your son, what you do with him is what's going to make the difference.

Hope you find the right place for your son :-)
Reading Mum

Post by Reading Mum »

I would try asking. Kendrick (girls) published a list on their website of where a past intake had come from - on the whole 1 or 2 form a very long list of schools - so it would seem to not be a data problem if the boys school don't.

there seems to be a shortage of places in primaries now with lots of portacabins being installed so you may not be able to pick and choose
aliportico

Post by aliportico »

If you search on here, you will find 'feeder' schools for Kendrick and Reading - in the threads about changing their selective status a year or two ago. (According to mumsnet one is in Kuwait :lol:
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

For instance, if there are 100 in a class and only 20 students are eligible and all get 100%, the school will show as 100% even though 80 pupils do not have results!
Sadly no , the percentage of children is worked out using the number of children in the class. So if there are 20 children in class and only 15 sit it, even though they may all get level 4 and above the % of children level 4 and above is 75%. That's why schools ask that all children attend during SATs week.

As for choosing a primary school, is your son starting in Reception this year? If so , a lot can change in a school in 7 years. I would concentrate on finding a school where you think he will be happy. Happy children learn far better.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now