Silicone cake tins use

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
pheasantchick

Silicone cake tins use

Post by pheasantchick »

I've just bought some silicone cake 'tins' for the first time ( I've always used metal tims before) and was wondering how i use them. Do I still need to line and grease them, or put the mixture straight in. Thanks.
scary mum

Re: Silicone cake tins use

Post by scary mum »

You need to grease them quite well - I do grease & then flour for the one I have (it's a novelty shape one, usually I use traditional tins).
scary mum
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

DD assures me she just puts in the cake mix. (I'm not allowed to do baking/cooking etc. I burn myself, cut myself and/or break stuff)
I think with the more complex ones, some grease/flour would help when turning out. DD and DH always seem to forget to so silicon is a godsend.
stroudydad

Post by stroudydad »

I always seem to find that with silicon the cake crusts a bit with silicon..so be cakeful with that
doodles

Post by doodles »

Grease, grease, grease and then flour! Also they are quite wobbly when you put them in/take them out of the oven so be careful.

(I've just given all of my very expensive silicone cookware away and re-invested in traditional tins! Sorry)
Samlet

Post by Samlet »

A vote the other way here - I don't grease for the simple round/square shapes, but would for something more fiddly. Yes, they are wobbly, but I always put them in the oven on a metal baking sheet. Haven't noticed any difference with the crust.

I love mine, because they save time (greasing) and space. Get them from TJ Maxx when they are cheap.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now