Any ideas for a golden wedding anniversary present?

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

ginx

Any ideas for a golden wedding anniversary present?

Post by ginx »

My parents celebrate their golden wedding anniversary in three weeks. My sister's giving them a huge family photo, I haven't a clue what to give them.

My mother has alzheimer's, so vouchers/tickets not really appropriate.

Any ideas? And sorry to always be asking for suggestions.
Sally-Anne

Re: Any ideas for a golden wedding anniversary present?

Post by Sally-Anne »

There is a rose called Golden Wedding, if that helps? http://apps.rhs.org.uk/plantselector/plant?plantid=5420" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

For in laws golden anniversary last year we got them a multi photo frame ( one that holds lots of photos rather than one big one) and got copies of their wedding photos to put in.
Samlet

Post by Samlet »

Photo book with lots of family/grandchildren photos? Quite cheap to do these digital printing ones now
ginx

Post by ginx »

Thanks! My sister's giving one big family photo. I wonder if I can get hold of some of my parents' wedding photos. I have to be careful because I don't want to upset my dad (my mum doesn't remember him from day to day, although she remembers her children, and he's gone beyond being upset, he finds it frustrating). I suppose I will just have to go and "steal" their wedding photos (if I can find them). Tinkers, I might put them in a multi photo frame. I haven't time to get copies, I'll have to use originals.

Maybe that might help Mum remember who Dad is.

Otherwise the rose, Golden Wedding, sounds ideal. I might give that as well, perhaps from the children. Thanks, Sally-Anne. They have a large, colourful garden and I'm sure they would like that.
stroudydad

Post by stroudydad »

A medal for your dad??;)
Amber

Post by Amber »

ginx wrote:Maybe that might help Mum remember who Dad is.
:cry: That is so sad. Best wishes to him and anyone else in this position - sometimes we all get so bogged down in our own little lives we forget what it must be like to care for someone who is ill, disabled or has dementia.
ginx

Post by ginx »

Thanks, Amber. It's not so sad right now. We have my Mum, she has "good" days and lucid moments. Stroudydad is right, my father deserves a medal. He has the patience of a saint.

Mum goes through phases of hating my father, as well as never remembering who he is (a teacher? my son? a friend? a neighbour? etc) so we have told her it's not a golden wedding anniversary party, it is her birthday party. She is very happy with that :D and so are we, because at the end of the day, it is just an excuse to get together, catch up with the thirteen grandchildren! (nine cousins for my children), eat and drink too much. Mum will enjoy it, especially as there are two new additions to the family, both aged two weeks!

Thank you for your kind words.
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

Thinking of you ginx, I hope it is a lovely day. I came on here to suggest a rose as well. Another idea (although photo related again) is an electronic photo frame with photos of the grandchildren. We had my parent's wedding cine film transferred onto video for my parents 40th anniversary (note video, old timer here :)) and played it in the background at the party.
scary mum
ginx

Post by ginx »

Rose, photo frame or electronic photo frame. I feel a little guilty stealing (borrowing) pictures from my parents' house, just to give them back again in a photo frame! But I've left it too late to do much else. I wonder if I'd better order the rose or whether our garden centre would have it, I will go and find out tomorrow.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now