End of Y4 - Level 4c, 4b, 4a. - Whats the max level?

Key Stages 1-2 and SATs advice

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
MSC

End of Y4 - Level 4c, 4b, 4a. - Whats the max level?

Post by MSC »

Is it the general practice that the maximum level of attainment to be given by a school / teacher is Level 4a at the end of Y4 Sats?

Has anyone of you here had the experience with your child being given Level higher than 4a?

Reason for asking - just got DS's Y4 report. Got 4a throughout. During teacher consultation, was told DS is level 5 but hinted that the school will only give 4a for Y4. Any reason for this?

Thanks.
"The only one rehab centre that I long to be in, is the 11+ Rehab Centre" a quote by MSC :-)
mystery

Re: End of Y4 - Level 4c, 4b, 4a. - Whats the max level?

Post by mystery »

I think they could give a higher level but many do not. If that school has chosen to give year 4 levels according to the qca optional tests this could be their own reason as a school. The highest you can get on the qca optional papers in year 4 is 4a.

As a school they could choose to level according to nc criteria but I think many choose not to in year 4. Also they may not have taught any level 5 material yet. This could be the other reason.

Anyway, fab levels. How did he get to these? Through school or home?
MSC

Post by MSC »

Thanks Mystery, that explains it. I don't mind at all, as you said they have not covered any Level 5 materials, I suppose thats fair.

Its a good school and a bit of daily home help from me, nothing special, just use the existing materials.
Last edited by MSC on Sun Jul 07, 2013 9:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"The only one rehab centre that I long to be in, is the 11+ Rehab Centre" a quote by MSC :-)
mystery

Post by mystery »

Yes, so it prob means you have gone past what they have taught, or have consolidated the material they have been taught very well.
MSC

Post by MSC »

The thing is, DS seems to find all his current year syllabus easy, so he reads ahead and ask for books way ahead of his year. Lol, talk about pushy parents, I have a pushy child! I sometimes think I'm trying too hard not to be pushy whilst he probably wishes I set him higher targets. Just trying to keep it balanced for him. The brains doesn't come from me, so definitely not my gene! Lol.
mystery

Post by mystery »

It is very easy to quickly outstrip school in maths at home. Not so easy for reading or writing though.

What workbook series does he like in each subject?

Well done to you and him.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now