CAT TESTS on return to year 5.

Discussion of the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

catwoman

CAT TESTS on return to year 5.

Post by catwoman »

I have been told from my DS school that in September when he starts year 5 he will have to sit a CAT Test and that this will determine his success at 11 + exams, my DS attends a b'ham independent school, some parents have been told already that their child will not be successful at 11 plus and it is up to them if they want to change schools!

Does anyone have any idea about these CAT Tests, my DS says that the exam will be a computerised exam and in the first week of returning to school, i was wondering if anyone has any weblinks to CAT Tests just so we can practice a few during the summer, and will the CAT Tests be similar to VR/NVR tests.
DC17C

Re: CAT TESTS on return to year 5.

Post by DC17C »

The point of CAT tests is to test the inate ability of children- there should not be any prep for them. There are links to other threads on CATtesting
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... Ts#p207889" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... ts#p382400" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

If you do a search on here there are many many threads about CATs. There are no practice papers, the idea of them is that they test some kind of innate ability, although I'm not quite sure how that is true otherwise it would be easy to set an 11plus test that is "tutor proof".
scary mum
Kingfisher

Post by Kingfisher »

Catwoman, this does happen in some independent schools - if they think a child will not be able to cope with the pace of the others when they get to senior school, or if they are likely to be below the standard required for entry into the Senior School, they are asked to look elsewhere. Parents do look at other schools and move their children - they have already been told their child will not be admitted into the senior school so what choice do they have? At least this way they have been notified and can make choices. My DD is at a super selective indie and it happens there as well as in other indies in my local area.

Do not worry about the CATS tests. Your DS will just sit them with the rest of the group.

Has the school given you any indication that he is behind everyone else or will not cope in Senior School with the rest of his peers? If they have not, don't worry.
catwoman

Post by catwoman »

Thanks for them replies however, DC17C i understand what you mean by the CATs testing for innate ability but shouldn't that be the same for the 11 plus exams aswell and surely we all know that the majority of parents either DIY their children or have private tutors.

Thanks scarymum, thats true i couldn't find any test papers on the web but i am going to try the links that DC17C has kindly provided, thanks DC17C.

Thanks Kingfisher for your response, personally i was shocked to hear this at such a late stage in the school (just before starting year 5) if there was an indication of below standard ability surely these parents should have been informed much earlier so they could try their best to get their child to a reasonable standard.

So far (fingers crossed) the teachers haven't stated anything about my DS so i'm hoping he'll be okay to sit the 11 plus next year, i've started doing some 10 mins Bond tests with him everyday, 1 test a day he is good with nvr and enjoys doing them, vr he is okay but maths he is finding hard he seems to do well 1 week but then the next week totally forgets what hes learnt the week before, he'd rather do 5 nvr 10 min test rather than 1 10 maths test.

How is every1 elses study plan for the summer if your DS/DDs are starting in year 5 in Sept?
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now