Prep for 11plus 2014 (Thank God)

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
hasmum

Prep for 11plus 2014 (Thank God)

Post by hasmum »

Hi to anyone that remembers me, (Sally-Anne, scary mum...)
Son took slough and Bucks 11 plus in 2011 passed both, we were undecided initially to where he should go but were lucky to get a place at JHGS in HW living 20 miles away, we were in the process of selling and buying our house, sold in DECEMBER AND MOVED finally in feb THIS YEAR.
Ds was grumpy initially but has settled thank god (missed his friends) wanted RGS but had reached no. 13 on waiting list in August so left it, we are actually living near it, had put ds down to do entrance test this march for year 8 but he was happy at JHGS.

NOW thought of preparing dd for next year, it is such a shame bucks changed their tests just when I thought I had mastered the question types, but thank god we did NVR prep for slough so at least familiar with it.

Have bought some material advised on this site will start soon so dont have to panic at the end. Just a little at a time, helped ds at home and he had tuition, will do the same with dd, she is better with english than maths and ds was other way round but is doing very well at school.

Feel very nervous and anxious this time due to fear of the unknown, but grateful we are taking next year and not this year. :?

This site is invaluable I was on it all the time when ds was taking his exams. So many in the same boat and so much help available.

You will hear more from me as we get into the papers/books.
Last edited by hasmum on Fri Aug 23, 2013 11:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
gameon

Re: Prep for 11plus 2014 (Thank God)

Post by gameon »

Welcome back. There are plently of year 4 mums are active here. Yes, we are all in the same boat. I just feel for the kids (& parents) who are taking the exam this year.

Gameon
hasmum

Re: Prep for 11plus 2014 (Thank God)

Post by hasmum »

Thanks Gameon,
I have just started on the schofield and Sims English and maths books Key stage 2, I already had these and didn't use them when I bought them for my ds, but find they are useful to start from as a base.

My other books haven't arrived (the ones advised on this site). I have bought notebooks for each subject area and one for vocabulary, all the words we come across my dd doesn't know I will get her to write it down and look up the meaning in the old fashioned way ...dictionary :D , that's what I did with my ds.

I do feel for the kids taking this year... I wish them all the best! It must be hard doing much in this weather.