Phonics screening check

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
stroudydad

Phonics screening check

Post by stroudydad »

Can anyone enlighten me as to what this is all about? Have just received ds2's report (which makes fairly uncomfortable reading) and it includes a result of 39 on his phonics screening check, which I had not heard of before can anyone enlighten me what this is all about?
doodles

Re: Phonics screening check

Post by doodles »

What school year is he in?
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

My niece is in year one and has done a phonics test. Guessing its the same thing. I think it's the one with some made up words as well as proper ones.
monstermum

Post by monstermum »

If it's the Year 1 phonic test it is out of 40 and the pass mark is 32.

HTH
stroudydad

Post by stroudydad »

Yes he is in year 1
mystery

Post by mystery »

Yes it is out of 40 so he only got one wrong in the test. It is decoding of single words - half nonsense words and half real ones too. It is to check that children have some basic phonic knowledge of single letter sounds, and some multiple letter sounds (not all) and that they can use them to work out some simple words including a small number of two syllable words. It is pretty basic but it is there to check that children have got, by the end of year 1, the fundamental skills to read a simple word they have never read before.
Okanagan

Post by Okanagan »

ds2 "failed" this! He apparently thought he only had to say the words which made sense and just said "rubbish", "nonsense" or "that's not a word" to the others.
fatbananas

Post by fatbananas »

stroudydad wrote:Can anyone enlighten me as to what this is all about? Have just received ds2's report (which makes fairly uncomfortable reading) and it includes a result of 39 on his phonics screening check, which I had not heard of before can anyone enlighten me what this is all about?
They change so much. A different teacher, being a bit older, can make all the difference, particularly with boys. His reading is obviously very good, so with the right teacher, I'm sure he'll blossom.
Seize the day ... before it seizes you.
JRM

Post by JRM »

Okanagan wrote:ds2 "failed" this! He apparently thought he only had to say the words which made sense and just said "rubbish", "nonsense" or "that's not a word" to the others.

I love it. I presume that you are not worried about this as you know what happened so it will make a great story when he is older. I can imagine one of mine doing just the same :-)
The more that you read, the more things you will know.
The more that you learn, the more places you'll go.
Dr Seuss
mystery

Post by mystery »

Okanagan wrote:ds2 "failed" this! He apparently thought he only had to say the words which made sense and just said "rubbish", "nonsense" or "that's not a word" to the others.
:lol: it can't have been well explained to him then. Thing is a child that age is not in a position to judge whether a word is a non-word, a word which is completely outside their vocabulary, or one they are understand but are having difficulty decoding.

What does he do to read a new word? Most children who have been taught phonics at school are comfortable with sounding out and blending a non-word int the same way they would a real word. It's not a new idea - letters and sounds suggested it honks ago and standardised reading tests have used it as a pure test of decoding for decades.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now