WHSB Induction Day

Eleven Plus (11+) in Essex

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
coffee

WHSB Induction Day

Post by coffee »

Hope all your DSs enjoyed their induction day. Our DS's form teacher was not available so unfortunately he didn't get to meet her. We also didn't know that he needed his PE kit so he was a bit worried about that all day.
Some older boys that he knows chatted to him at break time, which made him feel better.
At WHSG they have 3 induction days now, my DD had 2 days a couple of years ago. I wonder whether the number of induction days make much difference to the settling in process?
Happy summer holidays to everyone and best wishes to all the new year 7s starting at their respective schools in September.
mum of boys

Re: WHSB Induction Day

Post by mum of boys »

Hi Coffee,
My eldest DS is in year 9 at WHSB and only had one induction day. I do think that more might have helped ease his nerves over the summer, however, once they started in September, I don't think it made any difference.

DS2 is starting there in September, and unfortunately had to miss the induction day altogether. He is very laid back about it though, and despite not knowing anyone else going, is not at all worried! (Perhaps the result of having an older brother there already?).

Is your DS in 7W? I only ask because you mentioned that the form tutor wasn't there on the induction day and I know she wasn't there the evening before at the parents meeting. DS1 has not heard of her, so I assume she will be new to the school in September. My DS will be 7W.

Have a great summer, and don't worry at all - I'm sure our boys will settle quickly and really enjoy being at the school. Mine will no doubt lose all his possessions in the first term and miss the bus home regularly, but I'm sure he'll be happy!!!
coffee

Post by coffee »

Hi Mum of boys, yes my DS will be in 7W and the boys were told that the teacher is new to the school as you said.
He was a bit quiet when he came home and just said it was 'ok'. My DD came out buzzing after her induction days so I guess I was expecting a bit more enthusiasm from DS. He is really down about leaving all his primary friends. I keep telling him he will still see them and make even more friends at WHSB.
The parent information eve was a bit different from what I had expected too. At DD's, after the information talk we were taken into their new classrooms and got a chance to chat to their teacher and meet the other parents in our class. All schools have their own way of doing things though, and at least it was much quicker at WHSB.
It seems a lovely school and the parents we know who have older boys there are very happy with it. DS loves his sport and music (guitar and now drums!) so I'm sure he will get stuck in and be happy.
Am relying on his sister to get him on the right bus....oh dear!
southend mom

Post by southend mom »

Dear Coffee
My son is at WHSB in year 8, I was like you last year but please do not worry, the school is superb along with the teachers. My DS was also like this last year :) :) within a week he was totally different and enjoyed every moment in Year 7. I am sure your DS will do too.
Hopefully

Post by Hopefully »

My DC is also starting year 8 in September.
He was the only boy from his primary school to go to WHSB and we live out of catchment. I was concerned that it would be hard for him but he surprised me by growing up quickly with the responsibility of getting the bus at 7am and coping with the amount of homework and making new friends. It all fell into place. He really enjoys it. The school's approach to meetings is very formal but as a parent you also get used to that too.
I'm sure your DS will settle in quickly.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now