Selection Review

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Mummy05

Selection Review

Post by Mummy05 »

My DD scored 115/114 and was refused at selection review, However she has been graded as a level 6 in Maths and a Level 5 in English in SATS. I'm rather disappointed in this whole selection review process.
alilu

Re: Selection Review

Post by alilu »

I have had a very similar experience, my DD scored 113 (70/80 - 87.5%!) based on home study for the exam (she's not in a feeder school) and was refused at selection review. She has also just received SATS level 6 in maths, and a level 5 in everything else. I've found the whole 11+ process extremely disappointing and I find it very frustrating that there are not more grammar school places available.
anotherdad

Post by anotherdad »

This happened with my daughter two years ago. 120/115 (I don't bother with raw percentages because they are irrelevant) and an unsuccessful appeal. I have no complaint about the appeal panel's decision because at the time of the appeal, the predicted SATs level for Maths was 4a. However, by the end of year 6 she'd achieved level 5a. We did feel aggrieved because the school's prediction was a long way out and had it been more accurate we might have stood a better chance at appeal.

alilu, I'm afraid that although 70/80 is an excellent score in most tests, 113 was always going to be a long shot. Depending upon where in Bucks you are, there were more GS places available than there were qualified applicants so it's not a case of there not being enough places. In my daughter's year, Chesham GS had 55(?) unfilled places and Aylesbury High School definitely had 17. If my reading of the latest allocation for September 13 entry is correct, there are likely to be places still vacant at two GSs when year 7 starts in September.
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

It's a shame when you feel that your DC would thrive at a grammar school, but unfortunately there will be lots of people in the same position.
based on home study for the exam (she's not in a feeder school)
Just to clear up any misconception, there is no tuition for the 11 plus allowed in Bucks state schools, indeed the head teachers have to sign to say that they will not provide any. Any "advantage" will be as a result of sitting the test with their friends in familiar surroundings.
scary mum
Rob Clark

Post by Rob Clark »

Following on from scary's post, I'm not sure there's any such thing as a feeder school in Bucks, is there? As it's an opt out system here, every child gets a crack at it (unless specifically withdrawn by the parents) and if you pass you are deemed suitable for a grammar school education. After that it's a case of where you live and the relevant catchment areas.

The number of places isn't the point, it's to do with 11+ score.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Consider the 12+ as we know there are GS places.