When should I start applying to independent schoools

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
d2001

When should I start applying to independent schoools

Post by d2001 »

Hi All,

Does anyone know when I should start looking at applying for private schools? My son is in year 5 and I'm wondering when I need to start applying.... dont want to miss any cut off dates

D,
Reading Mum

Re: When should I start applying to independent schoools

Post by Reading Mum »

exams are usually a bit later than 11+ - often in Jan in yr6 - but application forms need to be in a fair bit before that. If you plan on applying for scholarships those often have deadlines too.
Kingfisher

Post by Kingfisher »

It depends. If your boy is at a state school, he could register now to join in Year 7. Some schools - Merchant Taylors, Westminster, St Paul's etc take boys from 13 although you need to register much earlier.

You may need to take action right now, so look up your preferred schools (ensure you do not just look at the super-selectives, just in case DS does not get in) and follow the advice given. Admissions close in November but they are open from now on. The end of Year 5 is the time to act. This is from Westminster School's site.

'It is recommended that boys should be registered for 13+ entry to Westminster School before they start Year 6 (the academic year when they turn eleven). Every year 120 boys enter Westminster School at this stage including approximately 50 boys who transfer from Westminster Under School.'

All the best with it.
d2001

Post by d2001 »

Thanks for that info. I think I'll start looking during the summer. Not sure if I can afford these fees!
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

Not sure where you are looking but in our area, the Herts, Enfield schools tend to have a deadline sometime in November but I would get the forms in as soon as possible as this gives your primary school more time to do the references. DG
ISE -DIY

Post by ISE -DIY »

Is there any independent schools near Dunstable and Luton areas?
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

I would think St Albans boys would have a coach from Luton. It would be worth checking on their website. DG
ISE -DIY

Post by ISE -DIY »

Thank you DG.

Is it a private school?
ISE-DIY
Kingfisher

Post by Kingfisher »

Yes, ISE-DIY. Have a look at the website. i have just done that for you and I can tell you there is indeed a school coach service from Luton and another one running from Dunstable.
11nuts

Post by 11nuts »

I registered for a number of independent schools as early as i could.

In hindsight it ended up costing me more than it should have. Some of the tests I registered for we didnt complete due to duplicate testing days and school affordability. I guess i was a little more eager than i should have been.

My advice, look at which independent schools you would realistic attend and apply to those.

With kind regards, SK.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now