INDEPENDENT SCHOOLS

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
ISE -DIY

INDEPENDENT SCHOOLS

Post by ISE -DIY »

Is there any independent schools we can apply? I live in Dunstable. I am preparing for bucks grammar schools IN 2014, just in case if its unsuccessful, can we apply for any independent schools and what are the procedures. (I think there's is an exam?)

Please anyone help me.

ISE
doodles

Re: INDEPENDENT SCHOOLS

Post by doodles »

Try Independent Schools Council or ISIS. They should both be able to identify schools in your area. Then you need to look at the individual schools websites and decipher their admissions policies - good luck.
Kingfisher

Post by Kingfisher »

You will need to sit an exam for the independent schools. You should check each school individually. I have posted up in another thread where you were asking about travel to St Albans. The answer is that there is a coach from Dunstable and one from Luton as well.

Don't assume that if your DS is unsuccessful in the grammar school 11+ exam that you will be able to have an indie as a 'back-up.' Your DS will still have to meet the standard in English and Maths and pass the interview as well. It will depend on the school how rigorous this is likely to be.

And you have to apply for the independent schools in the next couple of months - some have November as the cut-off date. And expect to pay between £50 and £100 for each application. But the websites will tell you.
Rob Clark

Post by Rob Clark »

Boy or girl?
Academic or not so much?
Boarding or day?

You haven't really given us sufficient information to go on yet… You can take the test for any independent school you want but you'll have to pay a fee and if your child gets in you would be responsible for getting them to school so if it's not boarding, you will have to figure that out beforehand.
ISE -DIY

Post by ISE -DIY »

Thank you Rob, Kingfisher and doodles. I have a son and my friend has a daughter, we both if are looking for better schools.

The kids are in year 4 but in sept they will be moving to year5, not planning to board the children. I will check the website as doodles recommended.

ISE-DIY
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

St Albans and Habs would both be doable from Luton as would Haileybury. You would be wise to start some gentle preparation now. Lots of North London students will be applying for these same schools. DG