Children bored already??

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

yoyo123

Children bored already??

Post by yoyo123 »

Can I just plug this ?

A fantastic, and free, challenge for the summer holidays

http://summerreadingchallenge.org.uk/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

yoyo
:D

ToadMum

Re: Children bored already??

Post by ToadMum »

Southend / Essex libraries have been doing various forms of this for years. Sometimes one or other of our three will decide to do it, with differing levels of diligence. DS2 said he wanted to do it this year, forgot all about it then remembered today when we were in the library - then said he had decided not to anyway...

Not sure whether the system is still the same, but one used to have to do everything at the library where the child signed up. So one year we had DD sign up at our local library, and DS2 demand to do the same - only that day we were several miles away in Rayleigh, not a regular destination for us because the only thing that it had which home locality didn't was a library open on Sundays (and not even that anymore) :roll:
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

My (now grown up) children used to do this. The online bit is new ( t'internet was years away then)

You get a gold medal if you collect all 6 stickers, I'm a sucker for stickers and badges!
ginx

Post by ginx »

Warwickshire have done it for years too. The novelty has worn off for my teenage children and 11 year old, but ds2, who is 7, is really excited.

He read a book and is desperate to tell the librarian all about the story. He read the story to me (he never reads to himself) today - if that sounds good it is because it was a very short and easy-to-read story, but he enjoyed that, and we all discussed the story. It's a really good challenge.

I think it appeals to more outgoing children like ds2, who can't wait to tell the librarian. But it is encouraging him to read which is worth it. :)
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

I'm hoping it will encourage the children who don't normally read over the holidays.

Am I too old for it at 56, d'you think?
Warks mum

Post by Warks mum »

I dug out a pencil from my handbag last week and discovered it was one of the prizes from a Warwickshire Library Reading Challenge from several years ago... Happy memories! And a useful pencil!
ginx

Post by ginx »

We went to the library this morning but ds2 could not re-tell the stories very well at all. To be fair, the librarian asked him the kind of questions you might ask an adult, and he was stumped.

However, he is carrying on. He's chosen a non-fiction book about snakes suitable for 5 year olds I think, and a longer story. It's working in that it is encouraging him to read, and maybe it will improve his story telling techniques. He doesn't give up easily.

Good excuse for me to go to the library and see friends there with their dc :) and it doesn't cost a penny (everything else in the holidays seems to cost, even if it is only parking, or an ice cream - for four children).

Our library does have free events in the holidays, well advertised - but I don't think ds2 would like them, as they involve a degree of sitting still, keeping quiet and concentration :lol: This afternoon we're going to a huge new park, cycling there (no parking costs and yet more exercise) but doubtless an ice cream. Times four. Usually equals £7-8. That's expensive! I'm hoping the ice cream van might not be there but then everyone will be unhappy. :roll:
Amber

Post by Amber »

ginx wrote:... it doesn't cost a penny (everything else in the holidays seems to cost, even if it is only parking, or an ice cream - for four children).
My lot are frantically making ice cream - much cheaper and tastes fabulous. We have a very basic John Lewis ice cream maker. DD has been picking our blackcurrants for sorbet; the boys cycled off for the ingredients to make a wicked chocolate ice cream and they have made vanilla and other fruit sorbets too. Can thoroughly recommend as a means of independent, cheap entertainment and good results too.
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

Yum. Watermelon sorbet is my favourite, and so easy - must make some...
scary mum
ginx

Post by ginx »

That is a really good idea, and I can see it would be good for entertainment too. Something to do, with your friends, and then eat the ice cream. Must invest in one (although it's another investment).

Ice cream today was £1.80 for 1 scoop and £2.75 for 2 scoops. However, canny friend had bought her cool box. Cornettos from a well known supermarket, £4 for 8 of us. Much more sensible. And of course cycling has burned off the calories and worn the children out, apart from my 7 year old who has boundless energy.

Good afternoon, there are times when I love the summer holidays. Tired, hot, hungry children who had a happy afternoon. :D