Summer holiday 11 plus preparation

Discussion of the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
goldenstar

Summer holiday 11 plus preparation

Post by goldenstar »

I feel really bad to ask my DS to study in this summer holiday time. How about others, do you spend lot of time for studies in this holiday.
mystery

Re: Summer holiday 11 plus preparation

Post by mystery »

When's the test?
goldenstar

Post by goldenstar »

In Sep 21st, 2013
IronMikeTyson

Post by IronMikeTyson »

we are in the same boat- first test in Sep 2nd.
So we are going to work through the summer unfortunately
"To err is human;to forgive ,divine"
mystery

Post by mystery »

Goldenstar I think everyone varies. I will certainly try to do some next summer as the test is shortly after the children go back to school. I can't see it doing any harm.
dlb

Post by dlb »

Don't worry about it - coz the majority of kids sitting 11+ in September will be working over summer!
Life begins at the end of your comfort zone!
bravado

Post by bravado »

There's so many factors to consider in this issue and you'll get a wide range of opinions and experiences, depending on where people are in the country, their DC's attitude towards the 11+ and whether they have tutors, DIY and have a combination of the two. Some people will say you should only do two practice papers, some say do some work for a year and definitely through the holidays.

Basically, it depends on when the test is, how many tests, how long you've been preparing and whether it's a superselective. DD2 has a place at a superselective: last year, everyone found out in Feb (or was it slightly earlier) that the test was being brought forward to September instead of November - that factor cut down our prep time. Coupled with a YR5 teacher who we discovered to our horror in May of that academic year, had focussed only on the middling and lower-performing sections of the class, ignoring the upper-level children, we had no choice but to work through the holiday.

Please come back and give us some more info and I'm sure you'll get some more advice.

For what it's worth - DD2 has survived the Summer Hols of 2012 and it's had no ill-effects :lol: She's still a normal 11 year old who is lolling about on the sofabed, watching tv, eating Pringles and occasionally picking up the iPad :lol:
chantchant

Post by chantchant »

Hi all, can anyone pls guide me about CEM and CSSE type exam or papers!!! As my DS will be sitting for Watford consortium and QE Boys , will he need to practice these papers as well !!! I am aware wat con will be using Moray House papers, can one guide me which publication or papers shall i use for DS to practice for QE Boys and Watford Consortium !!! I am bit confuse !!! Help !!!
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

Is your DS also applying to one of the CSSE schools - KEGS, CRGS, WHSB or SHSB? Or St Thomas More, Cecil Jones College or Shoeburyness High School (but on the whole I cannot see someone travelling from very far out of area for these as they are 'local' schools)?

The CSSE uses GL VR papers, but the English and Maths are written in-house, so only relevant to the CSSE exam if you want to be specific but good exercise for the brain if you want general practice.

There are some older style CSSE papers available for free on their website, or newer ones available to purchase.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
chantchant

Post by chantchant »

Thanks, ToadMum !!
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now