Westminster 11+ from State?

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
fifilarue

Westminster 11+ from State?

Post by fifilarue »

I have tried looking at the ISEB website and find it incomprehensible. There seem to be different expectations for numbers of papers/subjects/levels depending on where one has studied. We will not get help from our state primary who have no experience to share, so can any of you nice people help with some background information?? I know that I should call the school, but I can't bear to do that if there is no hope!! The WUS entry at 11+ does seem to be aimed at state pupils but realistically what extra work have they had to do to be able to pass the CE with sufficient marks? What levels of test would be expected? and In which subjects? and What sort of pass marks? Also any information on bursary/income levels would be very interesting. TIA :)
Yummiemummie

Re: Westminster 11+ from State?

Post by Yummiemummie »

Are you talking about 11 plus CE? Have been through that from a non-CE school. My child sat the papers at the school she was at the jan before entry, invigilated by teachers in the heads office. Maths, eng and science for 11 pls CE. ISEB are v helpful if you call them.
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

One of my students sat for Westminster in January. He sat English, Maths and Reasoning papers and then had an interview before being awarded a place. He also got a place at City and St Pauls. He found the papers straightforward, especially the English comprehension as he had been preparing with much harder papers, and it seems that the interview was the key. He got ten out of ten for the interview which was with a Head of Department. I would recommend taking as many state exams or mocks in English, Maths and Reasoning as possible between now and January in order to prepare. Those who gain the most experience in English, Maths and Reasoning exams and mocks in September and October will be the ones must likely to do well in the Westminster exams in January. DG
ClappedOutMum

Post by ClappedOutMum »

I've been along to an open day for the Under School (we went along last year - preparing well in advance for DS trying in Jan 2014).

The 11+ is all for the state school kids. They don't guarantee getting through the 13+CE but they say no-one (or only 1 in 10 or so years) has ever not got through. The kids who get in at 11+ are the brightest of the bright and will be of a standard that they are virtually a certainty to get through - as I understand it - and indeed most of them will be trying for a scholarship.

Having said that, my fear is that there is then yet more stress 2 years down the road: will he/won't he get through to the main school at 13+.

For that reason, I prefer other schools and Wesminster will be our back-up if (on the day/interview) he doesn't get into City, Dulwich and one or two others where passing at 11+ means he is sorted for the duration until universtity!).
Yummiemummie

Post by Yummiemummie »

My child took the school's own entrance tests, interviews, observed lessons etc etc on one long afternoon. She was then required to get a particular score in the 11 plus CE in the Jan. This mark is set by the senior school. The CE paper is sent to them for marking too. IMO the hardest bit was getting through the schools own assessments. We didn't do much prep as my DD had other good alternatives and I only wanted her to gain a place if it was without too much help, otherwise I think girls can struggle a couple of years in. The CE science paper was the trickiest because my DD wasn't doing that syllabus at her prep school. I just bought the past papers and went through them with her. The senior school knew that she wasn't going to be getting the same level of preparation that some other girls were getting. She got in and she's thriving so go for it!
ClappedOutMum

Post by ClappedOutMum »

bit confused by your post, since Westminster (until 6th form) is boys only?
Yummiemummie

Post by Yummiemummie »

Clapped out, was posting re 11 plus entry to top inde from school (state or prep) which doesn't prepare for CE. No my DD is not at WUS!!!!!! But my children have gone from state primary or non CE prep to selective indes. So I navigated my way through ISEB solo!
Sorry didn't make it clear my dd wasnt trying for WUS (!) but for a similar girls boarding school.
Anyway OP here if you need anything. It was tricky without prep/primary school inside knowledge of CE, but it is entirely possible.
fifilarue

Post by fifilarue »

Thank you for your replies.
I am slightly shocked about Clappedout's post because I thought that if you got into WUS on the 11+, that the transfer to the Great School at 13+ was assured...... Am off to re-read the website.....
I know that the exam marks have to be extremely high but I imagine that the interview will be incredibly challenging - does anyone have experience of that to share?
fifilarue

Post by fifilarue »

I forgot to ask - what sort of national curriculum levels are successful candidates working at?
Presumably level 6 is a minimum?
Kingfisher

Post by Kingfisher »

Of course most at Westminster will never have had any work assessed at an NC Level. Most independent schools do not use them and have no idea how they operate. Most Dc who get into these sorts of schools have a breadth of knowledge that is not covered in the state primaries.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now