Philip Morant school

Eleven Plus (11+) in Essex

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Minesatea

Philip Morant school

Post by Minesatea »

Is there anyone with a child at PM who is prepared to give me their honest opinion of the school? Pm is fine if you prefer. In particular how well do they handle an academically able but lazy child. Also if you get a place via the "aptitude for technology" exam does this require any commitment to studying the subject to GCSE or A level.
djy76

Re: Philip Morant school

Post by djy76 »

Minesatea, you could be asking about my DS...

Would be interesting to hear, although I am not sure whether my DS's addiction to a Nintendo DS would meet the "aptitude for technology" test...
hongkong

Post by hongkong »

Hi ,my son has just finished year 9 at PM. At the moment a tech is compulsory for all children. I have heard this may change in the future but don't know if this is a rumour. My experience is that the motivated children do well and get a lot out of the school. My son is very laid back and hasn't really changed!! He has excellent grades in the subjects he feels are important,and average ones in ones that he doesn't!!

I have had to nag,push,bribe to get him to work. I don't feel he has been pushed much but maybe he would be the same in another school.

I feel he is not pushed to produce his best work,and often is able to get away with minimum effort. If we don't make him work hard he wouldn't!

He is very happy there, has lots of friends.no problem with bullying.
Minesatea

Post by Minesatea »

Thanks for that. I am trying to decide between local comp or coaching for NVR exam and then busing DC across town for 5 years if successful.

Further questions if you don't mind:
What time is registration?
Is all homework manditory?
Do you know if students can access the school from the CCHS /St Bens bus park, eg the back?
hongkong

Post by hongkong »

What comp are you in catchment for? 8.25 is registration. Yes lots of students walk in that direction, my son does. The traffic is terrible though at that time of day. You might want to do a trial on a school day and see what its like!

Yes I would imagine all secondary schools have home work. They have quite a bit of project work so have to organise themselves, and not leave it to the last moment! They probably get 3-4 hours of home work a week, but it can vary a lot.

I would do some VR with them any way, it will help what ever you do.
Minesatea

Post by Minesatea »

The bus route to CCHS is ok, my DD does it every day. DS2 would need to be a couple of buses earlier though as her registration is 8:45. I was hoping he could travel with her initially but that early may require some bribery!
I am expecting homework, I have an issue with one of our local schools in that some of theirs is optional! I cannot see the point in setting homework that the children do not have to do.
We are Gilberd catchment just, although St Helena is closer.
hongkong

Post by hongkong »

I assume you know that St Helena's only got 39% of its pupils 5 GCSE or more passes. Obviously that doesn't mean the brightest pupils wont achieve. According to the tables Stanway comes out best with 72%, Philip Morant 68% and Gilberd 65%. I think you would need to have a look at them all to get a feel. Not sure if you would be able to get into Stanway anyway out of catchment. These percentages look slightly different if you look if this includes maths and English but I cant find those at the moment.

I think a lot of the schools are setting mainly using the CATs now. I have 2 pupils who got all level 4s in their SATS and have been placed in band 4 at Philip Morant, both children did poorly in their CATS. So its worth doing some verbal work what ever you decide!
push-pull-mum

Post by push-pull-mum »

There is a good bus service between Colchester and Brightlingsea. Have you considered The Colne? Outstanding Ofsted and excellent facilities (don't quote me but I think their GCSE success rate was 88%)
Minesatea

Post by Minesatea »

Re the colne - I hadn't considered largely on logistical reasons. I have had three children at three schools for several years, as I am a believer that you should choose the right school for the child. However it does make life more difficult which is why I am considering schools in the west of town so he can travel with his sister for a couple of years.However I am I intending to look at lots of schools when the open days start in sept. My older two were fairly easy but DS2 seems harder to choose which is why we are looking / discussing early.
Hongkong you mentioned VR, when my DD sat the exam a few years ago as a back up choice it was just NVR - has it changed? He is good at maths but weak at literacy so I am not considering anywhere with VR or English exams.
Last question - how does PM's banding system work?
hongkong

Post by hongkong »

sorry I meant NVR. The banding system has changed previously you were banded in year 7 and did all your lessons in that band. This is then changed slightly, and by year 9 you remain in your band, but can be in different sets for math, science and English. From this year 7 they are in a mixed ability form class. Then you are set for maths and English. I think you are then banded for all the other classes, but not 100% sure. Could let you know in September when my daughters friends start there.

Good luck with your choice it can be a really difficult decision!
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now