Pssst - want to see some CEM style questions?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Warwickshire

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Okanagan

Pssst - want to see some CEM style questions?

Post by Okanagan »

The format is different - it uses a separate answer sheet, not the answers on the question booklet style we have in Warwickshire - but the Bexley practice paper (downloadable from here) is probably the nearest thing in existence to a published CEM paper.

It might be worth Warwickshire people having a look at this to get an idea of CEM style questions - and in particular the timings of the different sections (spare time on one is not to be used to go ahead, or to catch up on another - it's like a series of mini timed papers), and perhaps the NVR format may be a little different to that on a lot of published practice material.

Suggested timings are:
Comprehension 7 Minutes
Missing words 5 minutes
Matching words 2 minutes
Non verbal 7 minutes
Numerical - Part A 7 minutes
Numerical - Part B 6 minutes

There are a few more examples on the Bexleyfamiliarisation sheet and sample questions too.
ginx

Re: Pssst - want to see some CEM style questions?

Post by ginx »

I can't believe nobody's commented on this! If it was my dd taking the 11+ in Sept., I would have lots of questions to ask.

I wonder if there are any parents with dc from Warwickshire on here - maybe Brum Mum will have a look.
Brum Mum

Post by Brum Mum »

Thanks v much Okanagan - I'll have a look at this later - bogged down with work at the mo!
butterfly36

Post by butterfly36 »

That's ever so helpful - and interesting !!! I've printed it and plan to go through it with my DD later today - thank you !!
catwoman

Post by catwoman »

Thanks very much for this Okanagan have printed it off although my Ds isnt taking the test until next year i am very much grateful, i thought there wasn't any actual CEM tests of any kind available? My Ds weak point is his timestables and basically anything to do with maths he hates it with a passion so the numerical reasoning will be useful to see the types of questions he will be challenged with, he will be doing the Queen marys 11 plus and the b'ham test.

Okanagan

Post by Okanagan »

catwoman wrote:i thought there wasn't any actual CEM tests of any kind available?
That's what they've always said. And this is the first one I've ever seen made publicly available.
catwoman

Post by catwoman »

Great, i just hope theres more to come !
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

Absolutely not the format for us, but just for fun DS2 had a go at the Bexley sample paper this morning under our usual rigorous conditions (on the bed under the duvet - but we did use a timer :) ). I am assuming that the real thing would be more difficult as well as rather longer, but he got:

Comprehension 8/8
Missing words 8/8
Matching words 8/8
NVR 8/17 (ran out of time after q12 - we don't have NVR in the CSSE test, not sure whether DS2 had actually ever done any before)
Numerical A 6/8
Numerical B 7/8 - ran out of time on last question but would have got it wrong ( :roll: he is actually better at Maths than English normally!).
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
JamesDean

Post by JamesDean »

Thanks very much - that's really useful.

JD
equation

Post by equation »

Okanagan wrote:The format is different - it uses a separate answer sheet, not the answers on the question booklet style we have in Warwickshire - but the Bexley practice paper (downloadable from here) is probably the nearest thing in existence to a published CEM paper.

It might be worth Warwickshire people having a look at this to get an idea of CEM style questions - and in particular the timings of the different sections (spare time on one is not to be used to go ahead, or to catch up on another - it's like a series of mini timed papers), and perhaps the NVR format may be a little different to that on a lot of published practice material.

There are a few more examples on the Bexley familiarisation sheet too.
This is like finding the holy grail.....any other exciting CEM findings?
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now