School Uniform - Ill Fitting

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Tagore

School Uniform - Ill Fitting

Post by Tagore »

Hi all. Just got back from the school uniform shop. Horrified that the smallest size in blazer is the same as a ladies size 10 (petite). Fits my adult sister perfectly. DD is floating in the garment. DD is small but not unique in this respect. On induction day I noticed several girls of similar build. What are other parents doing? Are you sending your child to school, floating in a blazer which is far too big, making it very uncomfortable to do any school work, or are you having the garment altered?
Tagore
getting ready for first day of term
mystery

Re: School Uniform - Ill Fitting

Post by mystery »

Is the blazer for indoor use?
KS10

Post by KS10 »

Similar problem - where the sleeves are perfect the shoulders are so wide she resembles an American footballer. Haven't yet decided what to do.
JRM

Post by JRM »

We have just struggled with the uniform sizing. The biggest problem was trouser length versus waist size for us. Oh, and getting official pe shorts to stay up. This is for a DS. I can only imagine that it is even trickier for girls of varying shapes and sizes.
The more that you read, the more things you will know.
The more that you learn, the more places you'll go.
Dr Seuss
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

DD changed schools in the middle of this month. She is not a "fat child" but has a tendency to stand like a sack of potatoes :lol: and as the nice lady in the uniform shop was "fitting" her quicker than I could repeat "stand up straight and hold yourself in just a little bit, for heaven's sake", some of the lower-body items have more than the usually required growth room.

I moved her kilt buttons over a bit, but even on her walk down to the station on her first morning she was texting me to say that the kilt was loose...

When DS1 started in Year 7, one of his classmates was so slight that he could only make his blazer look as if it fitted on one side at a time :lol:
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
KS10

Post by KS10 »

Tagore, is that really the smallest size in the shop? How odd!
ginx

Post by ginx »

Tagore,

We had the same problems. The blazer is huge. My dd2 is apparently average height - but not tall - for her age, but skinny. The blazer hangs off her like a sack. The PE trousers were about six inches too long and of the kind of material that could not be taken up (sort of a shell suit, with logo, obviously). The trousers - thank goodness - don't have a logo so we got them elsewhere.

But the skirt looks terrible. It is just too big. She must be thinner than i realise or something. One of her friends took a photo of herself and she had the same problem, all the uniform is too big. I don't know that it's a size 10, but I doubt it was smaller than an 8.

The shop assistant just said she'd "grow into it". In about five years, I thought :lol:

Naturally it wasn't exactly cheap, either :roll:
PROBSNAIVE

Post by PROBSNAIVE »

I have yet to start shopping but I'm really dreading it. My daughter was officially the smallest year 6 child at her primary and fits clothes which are 8/9 years :( We also need a blazer so cant imagine what she will look like! On another note, the school PE kit list is vast! Should we buy everything now or maybe stick to the basics and top up if/when needed? Another thing I'm worried about is what kind of school shoes do you wear at secondary school?! Obviously Velcro straps are out but what is in? :?
Long Journey

Post by Long Journey »

We are having similar, in that i feel that DD's blazer looks too big and droopy on her. They had smaller sizes but the lady in the shop insisted that it was the right size for her (probably as the smaller ones would come up short, she is quite tall). We had the "She'll grow into it" too. I doubt she's only going to grow breadth-wise.

Is there only one uniform supplier for your school?
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

Some schools may allow you to buy and M&S blazer & sew a badge on - you can get much smaller sizes in these.
scary mum