Tutor for Dyslexia and dysgraphia

Eleven Plus (11+) in Essex

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Araucana girl

Tutor for Dyslexia and dysgraphia

Post by Araucana girl »

Hi, slightly off topic but getting nowhere finding a forum for this that isn't american or blinding me with information overload. Ds, aged 8, has just been diagnosed with dyslexia, I am waiting on the report. A big problem is his handwriting, he is learning to read pretty well for a boy (although he adds words in!) but writing style and actually getting him to write is very hard work. He also has concentration issues in class - EP said that he has a short working memory.

Anyway what I am asking is: does anyone know of a good tutor for dyslexia and dysgraphia. I will be asking at Dyslexia Action Uk as well, where he was tested, but it is always nice to have a recommendation. I really think I need to do something as his writing and reading is clearly holding him back - his maths is fantastic. He wants to start 11 plus tuition in Sept, when dd sits her 11 plus, I keep telling him that he probably needs a different type of tutor to help with his writing - feel really bad for him, I just don't think he could cope with the English at the moment to even start to be tutored for it.

Help anyone, I want him to be able to give his best. I feel bad that I have given my dd so much of my time over the last year with the 11 plus, but not much to him. Things will change in September!
"Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere."

Albert Einstein
cetaylormade

Re: Tutor for Dyslexia and dysgraphia

Post by cetaylormade »

Hello

Sorry I can't help but have literally just had the same thing happen with my son who's 6 1/2 - he was diagnosed with both mild dyslexia and dysgraphia and poor working memory but is brilliant at maths (= to a 10 yr old!!) yesterday and trying to look for help was a bit overwhelming and he also wants to take 11 plus (although I appreciate a bit further away than your ds). So if you do find anything I'd really appreciate it if you could let me know - and vice versa :)
Araucana girl

Post by Araucana girl »

Crikey that could be my boy, I will keep you posted. Another thing I was told he has is auditory processing problems, I need to really sit down with the report when it comes.

Albert Einstein
KB

Post by KB »

Did you have him tested in Chelmsford?
Is that the area you would be looking for a tutor?
If you can get to Colchester then check out Annette Ground's clinic at CPOC - she has a great programme of activities. Its not in place of a tutor but works to develop the skills for short term and visual memory.
Araucana girl

Post by Araucana girl »

Yes it was Chelmsford. Thank you . Colchester might be a bit far but I will look her up.

Albert Einstein
leanmeamum

Post by leanmeamum »

Can I ask how much time your child spends with electronic goods (TV, computers, electronic games, ipads, etc)?

I know that they have been diagnosed by professionals but sometimes the answers might be simple.

Even a small amount of exposure to gadgets can have an effect on their concentration spans and reading, etc. I have seen this with my children and with a number of other children.
Araucana girl

Post by Araucana girl »

leanmeamum wrote:Can I ask how much time your child spends with electronic goods (TV, computers, electronic games, ipads, etc)?

I know that they have been diagnosed by professionals but sometimes the answers might be simple.

Even a small amount of exposure to gadgets can have an effect on their concentration spans and reading, etc. I have seen this with my children and with a number of other children.
Unfortunately much more than he should at the moment just to get work done with dd. he doesn't in the school week that much, maybe half an hour to an hour a day. i am the only one with an iPad / iPhone. He does scrounge those a bit. It will change in Sept when I can concentrate on him more again, really feel guilty about it but dd only has 5 weeks left :shock:

Albert Einstein
KB

Post by KB »

Araucana girl wrote:
leanmeamum wrote:Can I ask how much time your child spends with electronic goods (TV, computers, electronic games, ipads, etc)?

Unfortunately much more than he should at the moment just to get work done with dd. he doesn't in the school week that much, maybe half an hour to an hour a day. i am the only one with an iPad / iPhone. He does scrounge those a bit. It will change in Sept when I can concentrate on him more again, really feel guilty about it but dd only has 5 weeks left :shock:

Please don't feel guilty. We all have to manage within the realities of life.
Its certainly worth trying to control access. There are also specific 'games' for laptop and ipad that can be used to improve skills so maybe try them during the time you decide to allow access - the Wii has some as well.

There are various 'real' games and activities that you could try. Any ball games that include catching, throwing and hitting, playing a musical instrument, card games.....

An electronic wobble board is another idea - the retail company that has catalogues you order from in store has them (also web site)
leanmeamum

Post by leanmeamum »

Try to cut back on 'electronic time' as soon as you are able to and you will find a lot of improvement within few days. I had the same problem with my children and when I first cut back on these item, I was shocked. It was as though they were having withdrawals but I had to be strong and ride it out for a week after which it was much better. I noticed a massive difference in 2 weeks and by the 3rd week even the teachers commented on the change.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Dyslexia does liink with ADD so it may have nothing to do with gaming.