Advice please - French/German Dictonaries and other stuff

Eleven Plus (11+) in Lincolnshire (Lincs)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Celtic Worrier

Advice please - French/German Dictonaries and other stuff

Post by Celtic Worrier »

Hi

Please can anyone give me bit of advice about what dictionaries are best to buy, son starting at Kings in September and he needs a French & German one - have had a look and not sure what would be best, don't want to buy something that is not appropriate Also what calculator would be best to buy? and if anyone can give any advice on other bits he might need would be very grateful

Thanks

CW
ToadMum

Re: Advice please - French/German Dictonaries and other stuf

Post by ToadMum »

Celtic Worrier wrote:Hi

Please can anyone give me bit of advice about what dictionaries are best to buy, son starting at Kings in September and he needs a French & German one - have had a look and not sure what would be best, don't want to buy something that is not appropriate Also what calculator would be best to buy? and if anyone can give any advice on other bits he might need would be very grateful

Thanks

CW
Unless the school specifies something else (or sells them at the beginning of Yr7 - is there anyone in the office to ask?), this Casio one is very popular and none of our DC's schools have indicated that they are not completely acceptable. http://www.casio.co.uk/education/produc ... 85gt-plus/

Available at many outlets at almost as many different prices :lol:
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
Celtic Worrier

Post by Celtic Worrier »

Hi there TM

Thanks for answering - to be honest did not think of phoning the school, thought they would have shut up shop at the moment. Have had a look in Amazon and there are a few
so not sure what would be best, all those £'s are adding up and don't want to buy one and then to be told that another would be better

Thanks again for replying
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

We had a list of specified items.

Do not buy a calculator without checking! If the school specifies a particular model your chid will have to sort out any differences themselves. As maths teacher I cannot know all the quirks of every model so we do ask they all have the same one.

Does it say anything on the school website? Staff will be around in most schools from next week to support students with A level and GCSE results.
Celtic Worrier

Post by Celtic Worrier »

Hi Guest55

That is what I am concerned about that we buy something only to be told that another would be better, there was a uniform list and the dictionaries were mentioned but
no particular publisher, same on his induction day he was told he needed some things but nothing in particular was mentioned. So I will wait then, am loathe
to buy anything until I know what the School would prefer them to have. I had hoped that there may be a Mum out there who knew what they needed.

Thanks
secondtime

Post by secondtime »

Kings has a laid back approach to this sort of thing.
The school sells a calculator to the boys which they recommend - very reasonably priced - from memory £5. So wait and see.

I bought my first DS a French and German dictionary which he never seemed to use. I didn't bother for DS2. Equally DS2 has never had a DT Apron as he says they are at school already.

My advice would be 'wait and see'. They can also be a few weeks sorting out lockers and thumb prints for dinners which at the time I found puzzling although DSs were not bothered 8)