Approximate score for Southend Boys in catchment

Eleven Plus (11+) in Essex

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Jim's Dad

Approximate score for Southend Boys in catchment

Post by Jim's Dad »

Hello,

I have been going slightly crazy reading through threads trying to work out what scores my son is likely to need to get into either SHBS or WHBS following the 11 plus exams on Sept 21st.

If I understand correctly it looks like you would be ok with a significantly lower score than out of catchment ?
That score might be as low as 303 after some convoluted translation of the scores for each paper ?

I've been panicking as my son appeared to have forgotten everything !

However doing some past papers he has got:

English: 20/50
Maths: 25/40
VR: 50/85

This approximately translates to around 313 in the calculation I saw - would I be right in thinking those sorts of marks would see him ok ?

Please advise, much appreciated, stressing Dad !
ToadMum

Re: Approximate score for Southend Boys in catchment

Post by ToadMum »

An in-catchment standardised score of 303 should secure a GS place (last year only 170 boys in catchment passed, for 240 SHSB / WHSB places available, plus the semi-selectives), although as some years have seen one school or the other being particularly popular, the score required for one can be higher - one year fairly recently, SHSB was obviously the school of choice because the lowest in-catchment admission seems to have been 313.

(We are also hoping for SHSB if DS2 passes, as DS1 is moving on for sixth form so I have a selection of secondhand Troy house uniform that it would be nice to use up rather than having to buy all new for somewhere else! We do also have a set of Cecil Jones sports kit, so that would be our first choice if a "near miss" :lol:).
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
ahap

Post by ahap »

A standardised score of 313 in catchment will get him a place in one of the Southend schools.

Take a short break

Then get that VR score a little higher to be on the safe side.
'What we have learned is like a handful of earth; What we have yet to learn is like the whole world.' Auvaiyaar.
bravado

Post by bravado »

Welcome to the Eleven Plus Exams forum Jim's Dad :D

You may find it useful to have a look at the scores for last year's (ie 2012) 11+ exam which came out in October 2012. Things can of course change but they can give you an idea.

http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... 3&start=10" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

As you probably already know, VR counts for 50% of the marks so as ahap has said, it may be wise to try and raise those a little if you can, as it can be your safety net. There's always plenty of helpful advice flying around and people are always happy to help so please don't hesitate to ask :D

There's also some specific GL Assessment VR tips and a forum dedicated to VR which has proved invaluable for increasing speed and exam technique.

http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... =3&t=30078" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... =3&t=30178" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Jim's Dad

Post by Jim's Dad »

Thanks for your responses and those links....fascinating reading and much appreciated !

Well he did another VR familiarisation paper today and got 58 out of the 68 he managed to get to when time ran out - and he passed over 5 of those so very encouraging on that side of things.

Obviously needs to up the speed a bit, if he only got another say 7 marks out of the 22 unanswered that would be a good thing.

Feeling better already.....more practice should get him there, without being too intense over this holiday period.

Thanks again :D
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now