Foundation degree extended sciences

Discussion and advice on University Education

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

tubby

Foundation degree extended sciences

Post by tubby »

My son got admission for foundation degree 0 year, course changed by university after doing so badly in his exams, Plymouth Uni, he is not that keen with Plymouth but he really has no choice, can he change university after a year of foundation, do other university accept foundation year as entry to first year.?

Thanks
scary mum

Re: Foundation degree extended sciences

Post by scary mum »

I think you can transfer, certainly other universities say that you can, but it's probably easier to transfer "internally". I am looking at this option for DD next year. Have you visited Plymouth? I thought it was great, but of course everyone is looking for different things.
scary mum
tubby

Post by tubby »

Thanks scary mum we are going to Plymouth on Sunday DS still not sure but he really has no option but to go he is slowly getting use to it thank God. I wold like your opinion on Plymouth if you don't mind, why do you think it was great. DS has not been for an open day, anything to feedback to him, he is into sport and is convinced that facilities is not as good as other universities. Thank you
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

I don't know about sport, I'm afraid. We went to the open day & liked it very much. We liked the fact that it was a campus uni and the station & town centre were so close to the uni. It had a nice feel to it (sunny day!). What course would he hope to do after year 0? Did he get it through clearing? DD wants to apply for this next year as she clearly isn't going to get the grades to go straight in, but the course she wants to target is quite competitive and isn't guaranteed (I think they would offer another one if she didn't get on her first choice).
scary mum
tubby

Post by tubby »

Thanks he did not get in for Biomedical, so course was changed to extended science, in hindsight, I think it is a blessing, this foundation should hopefully cement the foundation he need so to speak for the year 1 degree, where he will have a better understanding of what is required from him because it is taught in a university, I have heard stories of students failing first years because they found it really tough. I have read on the course and it will definitely build on his present knowledge, and it will be like a revision year really but in a university environment, so he will not really feel left out. l am making any sense sorry :?
moved

Post by moved »

Sounds like an excellent plan. Revision, but as a student.
neveragain*

Post by neveragain* »

tubby wrote:Thanks he did not get in for Biomedical, so course was changed to extended science, in hindsight, I think it is a blessing, this foundation should hopefully cement the foundation he need so to speak for the year 1 degree, where he will have a better understanding of what is required from him because it is taught in a university, I have heard stories of students failing first years because they found it really tough. I have read on the course and it will definitely build on his present knowledge, and it will be like a revision year really but in a university environment, so he will not really feel left out. l am making any sense sorry :?
It makes total sense, and I agree it sounds like a fabulous plan!

Onwards, to good things but with a bit if intellectual breathing space too, consolidating knowledge and getting used to the rigours of uni life!

Good luck to you and your DS! :D
tubby

Post by tubby »

Thanks moved and neveragain, wish there was a like button.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now