confused (and concerned!) over scores

Eleven Plus (11+) in Essex

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
gladit'sallover

confused (and concerned!) over scores

Post by gladit'sallover »

Hi everyone

Having spent the last few days on a high as child gets into Westcliff, am now horrified to read actual results. Came 129 in school list (out of how many I don't know), standardised score 312.68 (what does this mean?) but maths score only 15/40! This was supposed to be strongest subject. Do we now expect child to be struggling near bottom or is this an acceptable middle range?
Congrats to everyone that's got in and commiserations for those that haven't. This has been a very stressful time for the whole family, what a ridiculous situation to put us through.

Gladit'sallover
Essex Girl

Response

Post by Essex Girl »

Don't worry about it. It is completely normal to have low raw scores. The tests are really difficult and your child's score in, for example, maths is not an indication of their ability or inability in maths but is an indication of their ability as compared to other candidates sitting. In other words, your child may not have great raw scores but many others will have worse ones.
Essex Girl

This years standardised scores

Post by Essex Girl »

I am beginning to face the horror of realisation that my child would almost certainly have got in this year!!
Essex Girl

11+ standardisation

Post by Essex Girl »

Dear Gladit'sallover,

Do you live in catchment?

Post by Guest »

I had the same reaction when I found out my daughter scores! Her maths was 26/40 which we thought was much stronger than her English but she seems to have done better in the English and well in the VR. She is upset thinking the scores are really bad but she got into CCHSG so can't be that bad in comparison. Does anyone understand the scoring?!!

Post by Guest »

my daughter got a standardised score of 353.83. She was 73 out of 572 for CCHS and 45 out of 690 for Westcliff High school for Girls. but it then went on to say For Westcliff school the number of applicants on your childs ranked list relates to whether your child is classed as attending a primary school within the Priority area. She did not attend a school in priority area. I thought the first 115 places went to girls in the priority area, so how can my daughter have come 45th? Does anyone know an answer for this?
Essex Girl

Marks and relations to schools

Post by Essex Girl »

The comment re Southend priority schools probably means that your daughter's ranking is against those candidates outside the catchment area. In other words, 690 applied from outside the area and your daughter was 45th on the list out of these candidates.
Essex Girl

By the way ....

Post by Essex Girl »

Well done!
3xdone

This years required marks

Post by 3xdone »

I know what you mean, Essex girl. I'm not sure I want to know what the required score to get into Southend Girls was (from outside area) because I just might feel less than happy! I know each year is relevant only for that year but I really do believe that there isn't much difference and I would absolutely hate to think that my poor daughter would probably have got a place this year, as she would have in previous years, but not last year.

If anyone is going to reveal the cut off for Southend Girls outside catchment, please could you make sure I'm wearing a blindfold.

Thank y'all!!!
Peachy

Re: confused (and concerned!) over scores

Post by Peachy »

I was also a bit flat this morning and unsure about the scoring system.
My daughter got in to Westcliff and we are over the moon because we are out of catchment.
She got 34/50 for English,32/40 for Maths and 71/90 for Verbal reasoning.

My daughter strongest subject is Maths but my immedaite reaction that her scores seemed very average or below what we expected to be accepted.
However on reflection her Maths score seems to fair Okay when compared with others.
She came 82/690 Westcliff and 44/622 Southend..

Im glad the wait is over and really proud that she got into Westcliff as I was expecting the worst case scenario and expected the scores to be higher.

Congratulations to all that got what they wanted.