Year 4 NFER results - are they an indicator?

Discussion of the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
anxiousmum2

Year 4 NFER results - are they an indicator?

Post by anxiousmum2 »

Hi, hope someone can help me.
For our local Grammar DD needs an age adjusted NFER score of minimum109 but more likely 115 to be sure of a place.
They do VR and NVR papers only

At the end of Y4 she got VR 109 and NVR 116 giving an average of 112.5
Bearing in mind she had only done 1 previous practice test the day before do you think she would have a good chance at 11+?
The Grammar school is by far the best in the area, even better than the private options, but I am reluctant to start coaching her if it's not realistic - any advice appreciated!
mystery

Re: Year 4 NFER results - are they an indicator?

Post by mystery »

What were the nfer tests she did at the end of year 4?

If they were comparable to the real tests why are you worrying? Sounds like she is in with as good a chance as anyone.

Do you know which practice papers to use at home which are as close as possible to the real thing?
DC17C

Post by DC17C »

Are these CAT tests?
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

Wow, lucky old you! No Engish or Maths. VR and NVR can be taught and you can make amazing progress in speed. I would suggest you sign up for some mocks and get some targets together. There are lots of great VR papers in the forum shop on here, I would recommend IPS , Athey, Walsh , Bright Sparks and the new First past the Post. DG
DC17C

Post by DC17C »

How is DD doing in maths & literacy generally? Is she on target to be level 5 by end of yr 6? ie level 3 at end of KS1 and level 4 at end of yr4? if so then is likely to cope well with the pace of work in a grammar.
anxiousmum2

Post by anxiousmum2 »

Thanks all.
She's doing well overall IMO - scored 108 and 109 on CATs for english and maths.
Not sure about levels - they weren't in her school report.
She lacks concentration and has lowish self-esteem - probably because I work full-time, single parent, and have always prioritised play and fun over homework/spelling etc up til now plus she is in with a particularly bright group of kids although a lot of them are not in catchment and at least 7 months older.
The benefits of the local grammar have definitely focused me on her development though, so I'm planning to reduce my working hours a bit next year to tutor her.
I have looked up and ordered the starter books for the NFER tests recommended by the grammar school and had a look at the reading list.
I'm reluctant to put pressure on her though - do you think it would be a good idea to get a tutor assessment, say after Oct half-term?

Any words of wisdom gratefully received
Lea's mum

Post by Lea's mum »

I am not in your area but we had a tutor for our DD and I am really pleased we did, it helped a lot by giving her some methods and a good understanding of what is expected. Also, the tutor will arrange some mock which will help your DD to feel more comfortable with the test and the way it is run.
I am not a single parent but I work full time too, there is nothing wrong with that and I am sure you are a great mum. You can work with your DD and help her to remember vocab, etc. and make it fun.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now