A-Level success list for 400 schools

Discussion and advice on Sixth Form matters

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
miniwheels70

A-Level success list for 400 schools

Post by miniwheels70 »

Hi all,

If you are interested, I have created a data visualisation of A-Level attainment for 400 state schools in England, Wales and Northern Ireland, which compares them based on the % of students that obtain B or higher at A-Level. The usual subjects top the list. This data is from The Daily Telegraph (last Friday) - (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/education/le ... hools.html)

You can search for schools by name, type and gender.

As noted in the original article, these are provisional results and do not include re-marks. Therefore, final results may be slightly higher than the figures shown here.
Independent school results will be published separately on August 24 and I will endeavor to include these results once they are available.

http://public.tableausoftware.com/views ... _count=yes

Happy to hear comments, but please, if looking at league tables of school inherently offends you, please do not look.

Thanks
moosh

Re: A-Level success list for 400 schools

Post by moosh »

Thank you for this. will you be doing one for the gcse results later this week. Also can you combine the state and independent schools to make just one table.
SteveDH

Post by SteveDH »

I notice tiffin girls seems to have vanished from your table, is there a reason, or just an oversight?
solimum

Post by solimum »

Not every school necessarily notified the Telegraph of their results in this format: my DC's previous school is not listed, and their own website annoyingly gives only % A/A* and %A*-C so I can't even work out where it would be!
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Hi miniwheels

That is a very interesting visual representation indeed. Thank you for taking the time to do it.

May I suggest that you distinguish between partially selective and bilateral schools? (A list here http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/school ... al-schools" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ) I haven't been through the list with a fine toothcomb but I did spot a few errors on that front - Watford Girls Grammar is partially selective, not comprehensive, as are Clement Danes and Mill Hill County High.

S-A
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

Sally-Anne wrote:Hi miniwheels

That is a very interesting visual representation indeed. Thank you for taking the time to do it.

May I suggest that you distinguish between partially selective and bilateral schools? (A list here http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/school ... al-schools" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ) I haven't been through the list with a fine toothcomb but I did spot a few errors on that front - Watford Girls Grammar is partially selective, not comprehensive, as are Clement Danes and Mill Hill County High.

S-A
Haven't checked the whole list again, but the telegraph have Watford girls as a comp and iirc, also had Clement Danes listed as a comp. The Telegraph have got it wrong.
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Tinkers wrote:Haven't checked the whole list again, but the telegraph have Watford girls as a comp and iirc, also had Clement Danes listed as a comp. The Telegraph have got it wrong.
Thanks, Tinkers. I am glad to know that it isn't miniwheels' fault! S/he has done a great job on that graph.
Minesatea

Post by Minesatea »

Does anyone know what the national average is for for this measure (A* - B)?
miniwheels70

Post by miniwheels70 »

Hi all.

Thanks for your comments!

As noted, this is not a comprehensive list of schools, only those that submitted their results to The Daily Telegraph. When the official government data is released, I will be able to make a more comprehensive visualisation.

I am hoping to do the same when the GCSE results come out this week, as well as when results for independent schools are released.

A new visualisation I have just released shows the trends in A-Level results by subject and gender, please have a look!
http://public.tableausoftware.com/share ... _count=yes
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

All these are before re-marks and, without knowing pupils GCSE grade, they are meaningless.

Ditto the GCSE results - wait for value added ...
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now