...the final push

Eleven Plus (11+) in Warwickshire

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Brum Mum

...the final push

Post by Brum Mum »

So, we're down to the last (just under) 4 weeks now. Eeeek!

Do any of you experienced 11plus'ers have any words of wisdom / advice on what to focus on / what books or papers that should be targeted for the last few weeks?

Many thanks (once again)

BM
muminbrum

Re: ...the final push

Post by muminbrum »

In the last week I tried to create my own mock exam taking questions from various books to replicate the duration of each section. I made DS use his own watch to keep an eye on time and even replicated the length of the break that they get on the middle and let him have his drink/snack as he would on the day (that was the carrot!).
ginx

Post by ginx »

Brum Mum, we did the same as muminbrum. Six days before the 11+, we tried to create a mock exam. Dd2 did badly in every paper, which may be was a good thing as it didn't exactly raise expectations. She didn't want to do any more practice at all before the exam, so we didn't. I'm not sure it is worth "cramming". I think practising doing timed papers is good - but too much last minute practice may be detrimental. Dd2 was not pressurised or stressed on the day of the exam. She had a totally normal week before the 11+, nothing special, nothing cancelled, just an ordinary week - but no practice.

I feel for you, though - four weeks - glad dd2 hasn't got to go through this again. I have a few years' grace before ds2 tries.

Good luck, Brum Mum. Why is there nobody else around in Warwickshire? Lurkers? Anybody?
guest201

Post by guest201 »

My DD does a little each day unless we have other plans, we do some practice papers, trying not to give her stuff that is too hard at this late stage as it can be demoralising if she gets lots wrong. She does a bit of work on vocab but I think it is a case of too little too late, the vocab in the exam is so difficult, she is quite confident on non verbal so I mix that up a bit and give her papers from various publishers Bond, GL, Athey. We do more maths than anything else trying to iron out silly mistakes and get her more confident and quicker.
JamesDean

Post by JamesDean »

We've been on holiday, so no practice here for a couple of weeks! Now we're home we've been doing online practice tests - one each day, which take DS about half an hour. Like others have said, nothing too pressurised - just want to keep his brain active and not the usual school holiday fug :D

JD
Brum Mum

Post by Brum Mum »

Thanks for the replies, so far we've been doing a bit each day. Some timed papers and online tests and trying to iron out anything that is still tripping him up...I think we'll continue like this.

He's done two commercial mocks - the second he did ok at so I think we'll leave it at that (his confidence was boosted by it which was good).

Its so quiet in here compared to the other areas - I thought it would have got a lot busier.
ginx

Post by ginx »

Brum Mum, maybe there aren't many dc in Warwickshire doing the 11+. Or not many parents have found this forum. Or else there are lots of lurkers. I am really surprised too. As you know, I'm in East Warwickshire, but I thought competition to get into schools in South Warwickshire was tough and therefore some parents would have appeared as the exam approaches.

Keep looking, you never know who might appear ...
Brum Mum

Post by Brum Mum »

ginx wrote:Brum Mum, maybe there aren't many dc in Warwickshire doing the 11+. Or not many parents have found this forum. Or else there are lots of lurkers. I am really surprised too. As you know, I'm in East Warwickshire, but I thought competition to get into schools in South Warwickshire was tough and therefore some parents would have appeared as the exam approaches.

Keep looking, you never know who might appear ...
Apparently there are over 2000 DC's signed up to take the test in Warwickshire - maybe there's only mine going for South! :lol:
ginx

Post by ginx »

OK, I'm wrong - I would have guessed 1500 - 2000 dc to try the 11+.

As you say, maybe your dc is the only one going for South Warwickshire :lol:

I don't know any this year as dd2 wasn't friendly with dc a year below her, or I'd recommend this forum. Obviously. :D

Come on, any parent in Warwickshire, add a comment, even just to say you exist. Brum Mum needs to know her dc has some competition.
Brum Mum

Post by Brum Mum »

ginx wrote:OK, I'm wrong - I would have guessed 1500 - 2000 dc to try the 11+.

As you say, maybe your dc is the only one going for South Warwickshire :lol:

I don't know any this year as dd2 wasn't friendly with dc a year below her, or I'd recommend this forum. Obviously. :D

Come on, any parent in Warwickshire, add a comment, even just to say you exist. Brum Mum needs to know her dc has some competition.
Please don't - ignorance is bliss :lol: :lol: