Bucks and Bexley Familiarisation

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
mystery

Bucks and Bexley Familiarisation

Post by mystery »

Are the cgp books harder or easier than the bucks familiarisation papers? I have looked at the bexley familiarisation papers - and I don't think they are superselective - and the vocabulary seems to include things that I would not necessarily expect to have been covered in school texts.

If the example questions are representative it will favour a certain type of child / school / home.
patricia

Re: New CGP 11 Plus Books CEM Style

Post by patricia »

As Bucks is an opt out county the familiarisation booklet tends to be easier as it will be shown to all abilities.

The preparation test will be similar difficulty.

The Bexley familiarisation is easier than the practice paper (preparation paper) .

In fact the Bexley and Bucks familiarisations are the same questions. Lets hope our preparation tests are different to your practice paper as that would defeat the object of Bucks not allowing the prepration tests home. Bucks will sit two preparation tests back to back two days before the real test.

Patricia
mystery

Post by mystery »

What are the prep tests to which you refer? These are not mentioned in the kent tender.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

On 10th September the Year 6s will have a complete run through of the test procedure using a practice paper. This will not be marked or taken home but will be collected and destroyed.

The actual tests are sat on 12th September.
mystery

Post by mystery »

Oh thanks. Are schools allowed to help pupils in the prep test if they have failed to understand the instructions e.g. Did not take in the audio instructions?

It all sounds a bit odd. Cats did not require a practice. Are the instructions for cem 11 plus tests over complex?

Do out of county candidates have to show up for a prep test?

Patricia, you say that the bexley familiarisation is easier than the prep test and that in bucks it is of equal difficulty to the prep test. What is the significance of this? If the prep test is not marked does it matter other than it just can needlessly upset children two days before the real thing?
MamaBear

Post by MamaBear »

Dear Mystery,

My son does not go to a Bucks school but he will still do the Prep test 2 days before the real exam and I am glad he is given the chance.
Hopefully it will not stress or worry the children, I'm hoping it will help them by giving them extra confidence when they do the actual paper.
Remember there are no practice tests so the children do not know what the test will be like. When they do the prep test it will prepare them for the transfer test...I hope!
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

http://www.buckscc.gov.uk/education/sch ... hfXZn_pySo" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Previously there were three practice papers which were marked and some familiarisation.

This new arrangement is to get them used to what the real test will be like.
mystery

Post by mystery »

Ah thanks. So that out of county candidates do not see the real test or the prep test at a different time from the others, how are they doing the dates and locations for ooc?

Do any other c e m schools and counties do this prep test? It seems another way that some children could get an advantage if it does introduce the types of question that could be in the real thing as the well organised will get their heads together over the remaining days. If it is to teach children the test routine and give them a taste of sitting in the test room in test conditions this sounds like a good plan.

How long is the prep test?

Kent has only asked for free photocopiable familiarisation papers to do at home. This seems cheaper and simpler but could put children who are not so good at following audio instructions at a disadvantage.

I was pleased that the c e m answer sheets in the bexley familiarisation paper a just straightforward shading in if a, b, c, c or e. The current g l ones are a very messy hybrid.

In the absence of data, and nothing in the tenders that explores this, is there any feel that these c e m papers do select the "right" candidates for grammar school?

Maybe this is better in a different thread!
Tinkus-Pinkus

Post by Tinkus-Pinkus »

I think the prep test is a good idea, although my DD lives in county, she goes to an out of county school and I know that it will be daunting and quite distressing for her to go to a new place, in a big hall with lots of children she does not know. She is an end of July birthday child and is consequently very young and immature for all of this, she is as terrified of being left in a strange environment as she is of taking the test. I have had to say I will sit outside in the car. At least the prep test will allow a bit of familiarisation to the environment. Unless you have a very confident child I would suggest that the prep day is about preparing them for what to expect so it is less stressful on the day.
patricia

Post by patricia »

mystery wrote:
Patricia, you say that the bexley familiarisation is easier than the prep test and that in bucks it is of equal difficulty to the prep test. What is the significance of this? If the prep test is not marked does it matter other than it just can needlessly upset children two days before the real thing?
To clarify...

The Familiarisation paper for both Bexley and Bucks are identical.

The Familiarisation tends to be easier than the real test.

The Bexley Familiarisation is easier than the Bexley practice (preparation) test.

The Bucks Preparation test will be of a similar difficulty to the real Bucks test.

Patricia
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now